Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Professional pilots pay and non professional immigrants pay.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

se1776

splash 8
Non professional Immigrants working illegally in this country makes more money than professional Pilots.

My friend came illegally from Central America two years ago.

the first year he made $34,000 as a truck driver helper

working Monday thru Friday 8 to 5 He doesn’t even read and write Spanish. Not to say the English language.

The sad thing is that a pilot spent all that money in training to make $19,000 to $21,000 the first year and $24,000 to $32,000 the second year.

Why?

I've got a friend that makes more than I do and he drives a food delivery truck. He's a Teamster. It's supply and demand. There's a lot of kids with stars in their eyes willing to do anything so they can call themselves pilots. Outfits like GIA have guys willing to pay thousands of dollars to sit in a seat that should be occupied by a paid professional. We used to see guys willing to pay 10-12K to subsidize their own training at a regional. As long as these destructive practices continue regional pay will be very low to start.

If you're willing to work hard driving a truck you can make over 70 grand. The view isn't quite the same but he'll enjoy a better pension.

You want to drive a truck go ahead you will make more money now, but you will cap out at 70k if you are lucky. Here in the airlines, you work more and get paid less now, but if you stick with it you will make way more in the long run. So do you want instant satisfaction now with 34K or stay awhile and make a lot more in the long run. The logic expressed in the prior messages is short sighted and does not look at the overall return in a 10-15 year career (or more). My friends at Morgan Stanley started out their first making 30K working over 90 hours a weeks with the knowledge that if they did not bring in 1 million in revenue the first year they would be fired. But if they made it, they would make a lot of money in the following years. So you could say sure the job sucks now for 30K, but the return is amazing. They now both have their own homes in Chicago and nice new cars, but still work their rears off.

So its your perception and your tolerance that is in question not the market value placed on your labors.

Just my thoughts

P2J

Prop2Jet said:
You want to drive a truck go ahead you will make more money now, but you will cap out at 70k if you are lucky. Here in the airlines, you work more and get paid less now, but if you stick with it you will make way more in the long run. So do you want instant satisfaction now with 34K or stay awhile and make a lot more in the long run. The logic expressed in the prior messages is short sighted and does not look at the overall return in a 10-15 year career (or more). My friends at Morgan Stanley started out their first making 30K working over 90 hours a weeks with the knowledge that if they did not bring in 1 million in revenue the first year they would be fired. But if they made it, they would make a lot of money in the following years. So you could say sure the job sucks now for 30K, but the return is amazing. They now both have their own homes in Chicago and nice new cars, but still work their rears off.

So its your perception and your tolerance that is in question not the market value placed on your labors.

Just my thoughts

P2J

Amen. People only care about what they make now. Nobody wants to wait 5-10 years when they will make 2 times that of a truck driver.

Flyeys said:
Amen. People only care about what they make now. Nobody wants to wait 5-10 years when they will make 2 times that of a truck driver.

I'm surrounded by Jacka$$es!!!

Is that what you are holding out for 10 years down the road you think you might make twice as much as a truck driver???? Well yippety Freakin Do Da. Don't you have something to look forward to. Every think of what might happen if you spiffy little regional thats growing like mad now had some problems, oh say maybe lost a contract or decided that you were getting too expensive and it would be time to create another alter ego. What does happen if the growth slows down and you end up spending alot more time in that right seat that you planned on??????

Then does what you make now matter, or is it still ok to wait 5 or 10 more years for a livable wage. When the growth slows down, and we have 5 or 6 years FO's at Mesa or the Chitty Kitty, then I want to see how happy you all are with those pathetic wages that you call a contract.....

The sad thing is that a pilot spent all that money in training to make $19,000 to $21,000 the first year and $24,000 to $32,000 the second year.

Why?

According your flight times, by know you should know why. We all have choices in how we take our career paths. I see you fly a dash 8, I'm assuming you are at a regional. You had a choice there. I didn't want to starve, so I went to a 135 for my first turbine job. Sure, it wasn't glamorous by any means, but I made more as an F/O than I could have as a turbo-prob Captain at a regional. Not to mention, I felt I got better experience than I could have at the regionals. It's all in how one makes their plans.

A truck driver makes $50,000+ a year now not in 5 to 10 years.

wake up guys.

something is wrong with the picture

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back