Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=277

What has the state of out profession become? Take a look at the starting wages and working conditions at any regional airline to see a general lack of respect for airman and what they provide. At one point in time, good airmanship was a valued asset.

Stick and rudder skills were prized and those that had these skills were respected and sought after. What will be the attributes most desirable when the next upturn in the hiring cycle comes? Has the cost-conscious industry come to prefer systems managers over airmen? Never mind the yoke and throttle. It seems that a pen and index finger are all that is required to earn a living flying these days. ATC will make the judgment calls for you. Merely passing the required simulator training ensures you a spot in the front seat of most transport category aircraft these days.

I predict that within a generation, the ultimate cost-reduction measure will come to pass. That being pilots are replaced with computers. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) are plying the airways as we speak. How long can it be before we see the inefficient, costly humans in the cockpit replaced by a microprocessor? Better, cheaper, faster, they don’t need or take breaks or complain about being on duty continuously for 18 hours.

What will it take make this profession attractive again? Is mere allure of flight enough? Can any pilot recommend this career path to aspiring airman?

costly humans in the cockpit replaced by a microprocessor? Better, cheaper, faster, they don’t need or take breaks or complain about being on duty continuously for 18 hours.

...and take the most direct route to destiantion, regardless of that building thunderstom that isnt producing rain just yet.

If they replace pilots with computers ill never fly in back again.....that is worse than the airlines.

I don't see UAVs carrying people for a while for a few reasons.

#1 pax still like to see humans up front.
#2 You can't program the computer to react in a way that will result in less dead bodies in never before seen instances. Humans are not perfect, but when it comes to dealing with stuff that has never been seen before we are better at finding ways to end up with less dead bodies...look at Al Haynes, Sully, the guys behind Apollo 13...etc

Still need pilots at console's, this brings up training and cost issues equal to current op's and how too handle all the varible pop-up's that every flight encounters like ramp and taxi congestion, wx enroute, wx at dst. MX issues, see and avoid, ETC. ETC.

Not to mention everything that people bring on board and their needs in back-

Ding.. Hi- can you turn off the sign this kid really has to go? Ding... is it going to bumpy like this the whole way cuz I not sure if I can still serve? Ding...How much time do we have left. Ding... Hi again we have three UM's and this lady says she needs a meet/assist because she can't see real well?? and can you call for a LAV too? Ding... will you get mx for the coffee pot it's leaking all over the galley! Ding...too hot/cold. Ding guy say's he left blackberry at gate area can you call and let them know? ETC. ETC. ETC.

I think we will all be gone before UAV's make it into mainline.

Disautomation

How long can it be before we see the inefficient, costly humans in the cockpit replaced by a microprocessor? Better, cheaper, faster, they don’t need or take breaks or complain about being on duty continuously for 18 hours.
But then the computers will organize and demand more peripherals, plug-ins, and hibernation time. Wildcat re-boots! Virus sick-outs! Fatal errors!
Frustrated, management will outsource the jobs back to humans. :p

But then the computers will organize and demand more peripherals, plug-ins, and hibernation time. Wildcat re-boots! Virus sick-outs! Fatal errors!
Frustrated, management will outsource the jobs back to humans. :p

Haha, that made me laugh :) If any UAVs get put into use I bet we see it first in Military Ops (already happening) then Cargo ops, then maybe pax. Hopefully, I will be six feet under by the time that happens.

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=277

What has the state of out profession become? Take a look at the starting wages and working conditions at any regional airline to see a general lack of respect for airman and what they provide. At one point in time, good airmanship was a valued asset.

Stick and rudder skills were prized and those that had these skills were respected and sought after. What will be the attributes most desirable when the next upturn in the hiring cycle comes? Has the cost-conscious industry come to prefer systems managers over airmen? Never mind the yoke and throttle. It seems that a pen and index finger are all that is required to earn a living flying these days. ATC will make the judgment calls for you. Merely passing the required simulator training ensures you a spot in the front seat of most transport category aircraft these days.

I predict that within a generation, the ultimate cost-reduction measure will come to pass. That being pilots are replaced with computers. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) are plying the airways as we speak. How long can it be before we see the inefficient, costly humans in the cockpit replaced by a microprocessor? Better, cheaper, faster, they don’t need or take breaks or complain about being on duty continuously for 18 hours.

What will it take make this profession attractive again? Is mere allure of flight enough? Can any pilot recommend this career path to aspiring airman?

• Even UAVs have pilots....and they get paid more than us.
  • The FAA will not sign off on unmanned airliners for decades after they first appear.
  • You have already been replaced by computers....consider the Airbus or even a modern FMS.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back