Professional Ethics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BODENE

I have had a recent conversation with a regional captain and was digusted to hear that he is going through a FAA investigation due to another regional pilot non-reving in the back of his aircraft. It appears that the pilot in the back of the aircraft(separate carrier) decided to report directly to the FAA an operational issue. This had to do with a morning deice procedure and the report was issued to the FAA that the captain took off without deicing the aircraft, when in turn the aircraft was sprayed in the morning and even returned to the gate to be resprayed after the guy in the back made a huge stink.

This is absolutely unprofessional and a complete disregard for our professional ethics that should be established among our ranks as professional aviators. I asked him what the status of the investigation was, he advised that the report was all BS and his chief pilot is standing strong behind his pilots, but it caused a magnitude of grief and time on everyones part to get this matter resolved. I would implore all of you to think through this type of action and remember there are proper procedures in place for these types of issues. This could have been handled through the appropriate union professional standards or the pilot in the back could have called his chief pilot and discussed the matter. This is a very small world in our community and I am a firm believer of what goes around comes around. Remember you may be sitting in front of them for an interview. The purpose of this thread is not to bash carriers but to bring to light the fact that we should all be professional and have some sort of ethics when dealing with our fellow pilots.

Good luck and safe flying!

Did the non-rev take his i-Pod earbuds out before he threw this hissy-fit? Also, did the Capt file a formal complaint to his airline about disruptive nature of the non-rev on his flight so that the fresh out of ATP, spikey-haired, non-rev would have his privledges revoked?

Just to play the devils advocate here...I think if I was in the back of an aircraft with a layer of ice/frost all over the wings getting ready to take off, I would throw a fit too. I have flown with too many idiots to blindly assume that the crew is professional, competent, or that somebody did the walkaround.

That being said, there's never a reason to report anything or anybody to the FAA.

Did the non-rev take his i-Pod earbuds out before he threw this hissy-fit? Also, did the Capt file a formal complaint to his airline about disruptive nature of the non-rev on his flight so that the fresh out of ATP, spikey-haired, non-rev would have his privledges revoked?

Did a F/A take a spikey haired Ipod wearing F/O over you or something?

..I think if I was in the back of an aircraft with a layer of ice/frost all over the wings getting ready to take off,

Since none of us were there, its all conjecture. I am assuming the airline involved goes with the clean aircraft concept. Meaning that if it has already been de-iced prior to uyour arrival....you get to skip alot of de-ice procedure if prevailing condtions warrant. With that being said, the non-rev should have raised her conecern to the crew at the time. In any event, I think a blanket party is in order for that non-rev.

You know this sort of thing has happened before but with a horrific twist.
I can't remember all of the facts but I saw the report on a discovery channel or history show.

A Dc-9 I think, went down trying to takeoff with flaps up. Some survived, one being an off duty mainline captain. During the post crash interview he stated that he noticed that the flaps were not extended. When asked why he didn't do anything he stated that it was not his place to question a professional crews decisions and that he would expect the same courtesy from anyone if they were in his position.

So he sat there knowing what was about to happen and did nothing; Because he didn't want to offend another captain. He could have saved many lives yet out of "professional courtesy" he chose to let many people die.

I don't know all the facts of this recent case but I would rather make a mistake or an ass of myself than ride knowingly to my death.

Just something to think about.

There is a time and a place to make a point to the captain. If the pilot in the back of the aircraft does not know the station procedures as well as the particular airline procedures, he or she should make an attempt to express their concern prior to the aircraft pushing back from the gate. While the aircraft is in motion and scaring the F/A's is not appropriate. The captain in this particular case went back to the gate and resprayed the aircraft. There was absolutely no ice/frost on the aircraft prior to lift off. The pilot in the back of the aircraft has broken a professional code and made a report to the FAA and did not use a professional tact to this matter. I am certain his Chief Pilot has been made aware of this circumstance as well as his professional standards chairman.

Although I do not fly in the airline setting anymore, I would never go direct to the FAA and report a fellow colleague. Safety is one thing, but ratting out a colleague is another. I hope that this person understands this is a small world and sooner or later these type of actions will catch up with him.

Good luck to all of you out there and watch out, you never know who is in the back of your aircraft!

Google Air Ontario C-FONF, USAir N485US, or even Aloha 243 before you guys start black-listing passengers.

Sometimes the passengers are right.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back