• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

professional courtesy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why should you get first when most passengers hold some sort of elite status?

One of the last few perks of this job, perhaps?

If they were elite they'd be in first already. The computer will upgrade them either a few days before, or at check in, depending on their status.

It's the ones that used to be elite, or are almost elite, that get crabby and/or beg the gate agent constantly for upgrades.

The CSR's have the information concerning whether or not a passenger is entitled to the upgrade to the first class seat. Most Captains (at least at my airline) rarely go over the CSR's head to determine who gets First Class.

That having been said, if the door's closing and there are empty seats up front and the CSR's haven't deemed the guys in coach "worthy" of the upgrade, I always try to get my jumpseaters up front as a professional courtesy. That's a courtesy I have received at many other airlines as well.

If you're sitting up front at our airline and they offer food, grab it with both hands before they change their mind :)

No alcohol.
Help the FA's Help the Pax.
Watch the FA safety briefing
Be polite.
Say thank you again and again.
Enjoy the ride!

The FAs really don't care how much of the galley you consume. They just want to be treated with respect. Do that and all is good...

On Int'l flights bring the cabin crew chocolates.. it goes a long way....and pays dividends..... make sure you bring enough...:)

Last edited:
On international flights, especially to Europe, most major carriers will not automatically upgrade elite status passangers. These seats command thousands of dollars more than the coach seats therefore they go out empty unless someoneis willing to pay for the seat with a whole lot of FF miles or a credit card. Therefore nonrev's are usually accomodated including jumpseaters. My airline will not put jumpseaters in First much at all anymore and even the employees traveling overseas pay a hefty fee to experience BusinessFirst. That being said, you have a better chance of getting a first class seat on an international flight than on a domestic flight based on the Elite status upgrade policies at most carriers. There is plenty of food to go around up there so don't be shy about eating when it is offered. Just make sure you let the FA's know that you are on their team and wan't to make sure that everyone else gets their first choice of entree before you get to pick. We usually have a choice of 3-4 with 2-3 types of apps. Dessert is usually a few courses with wine and cheese/sweet bread/ice cream/pastries/fresh fruit. Always leftovers(that's why so many international pilots have larger waistlines.

IAHERJ

Whenever I jumpseat longhaul, usually international, I always turn up with a huge tub of cookies. You can get a great deal at Costco, 20 (ish) huge cookies for about 6 bucks. A small investment and it makes the day for the cabin crew to have some different. At least I have always been thanked profousely for them. Swing by the store on the way to the airport, all you have to do is carry it through security, and its offloaded as soon as you get on the plane. One United purser even gave me a bottle of French Champagne to take off the plane, as a thank you from the crew! (No I wasn't in uniform).
Safe Travels,
Herewegoagain.

Always make sure everybody else... Including the FA's and other Jumpseaters are taken care of first. Then, only what they have left over. It's the "gentlemanly" and professional thing to do.

A couple of useful comments to toss out when jumpseating in First:

1. "You must be new. That service kinda sucked."
2. "Have you heard the one about the difference between a bowling ball and a flight attendant?"
3. "Is it true all you guys are gay?"
4. "Hey! How come he got linen and I got his crappy paper towel?"
5. "You should interview with my company. We don't require weigh-in's either!"
6. "I'm not wearing underwear!"
7. "I bet you were cute 40 years ago."
8. "Sheesh! You sound like my third wife...she was a bossy flight attendant too!"
9. "How 'bout a bottle of the red for my layover?"
10. "Hey Toots! Put my bag in the overhead, 'kay?"

That's pretty funny! :)

Latest resources

Back