Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Private in a aircraft with only one stick? (but accessable)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Hi,

The regulations mention dual flight controls to do instruction for something like a private (I am not talking instrument). I have a aircraft with dual rudder pedals, and single brake lever accessable to both pilots and a yoke that is in the center of the aircraft that is accessable to both pilots. (side by side seating) Does this qualify? (The aircraft is a jabaru)

Thanks

My best advice would be to call OKC themselves and if you get the thumbs up to get it in writing with a feds signature on it.

I have a feeling that this is something that if you call ten different FSDO's you'll get ten different responses.

It's been awhile since I've looked; but, I think the regs specifically state dual flight controls or a throw over yoke. Having a single control mechanism (yoke/stick) accessable to both pilots will probably be a gray area. The big boys themselves would be the ones to ask. I would hate to take advice from someone on flightinfo then get caught with my pants down come checkride time.

The REAL question is do you feel comfortable instructing someone with this configuration. In the four years I spent as a flight instructor I had more than a few students perform some pretty off the wall things.....then lock up on the controls. Do you think you would have the leverage to over power the student with a single stick? It's obviously entirely up to you; but, just food for thought.

Last edited:
Hi,

The regulations mention dual flight controls to do instruction for something like a private (I am not talking instrument). I have a aircraft with dual rudder pedals, and single brake lever accessable to both pilots and a yoke that is in the center of the aircraft that is accessable to both pilots. (side by side seating) Does this qualify? (The aircraft is a jabaru)

Thanks

§ 91.109 Flight instruction; Simulated instrument flight and certain flight tests.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft (except a manned free balloon) that is being used for flight instruction unless that aircraft has fully functioning dual controls. However, instrument flight instruction may be given in a single-engine airplane equipped with a single, functioning throwover control wheel in place of fixed, dual controls of the elevator and ailerons when—
(1) The instructor has determined that the flight can be conducted safely; and
(2) The person manipulating the controls has at least a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings.

a yoke that is in the center of the aircraft that is accessable to both pilots.
How is that possible?

Do you mean that the pilot has a yoke (not a stick) off center from his seat? He has to fly a yoke that is off-centered to his right?

Explain in a little more detail.

Oh, ..OK, it's a stick, not a yoke. Sorta like the R-22.
If it had the left-right stick extentions, so that each pilot could be on the stick at the same time, I think it would meet the accepted definition of "dual controls", but, in this set-up with only one actual stick, and it seems to be short enough that both hands couldn't be on it at the same time, so... probably not, unless you can find an examiner willing to stick his neck out on the definition, meaning he would consider this as a dual contol, personally.

Doesn't look like it would meet the definition of dual flight controls. It's more like dual accessible flight controls. Have you contacted the manufacturer? They might have a letter from Washington stating that it is acceptable.

Latest resources

Back