• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preferred Routing in the Northeast

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I second the AFD routing. It is preferred and ATC does utilize these routes!!

Additionally, check for the first fix on the departure in the "general" direction you are travelling and use that as the first fix to join the airway. Once you are away from the inital NY/BOS centers, then you can ask for direct and, depending on traffic (and weather), you will usually get something further down the road.

I fly out of BOS & PHL every day, same bat time, same bat route, and guess what? It changes every day depending on ?? OK, there is really only two ways each way, but I seem to find them every other day!!

Enjoy the northeast -- it's fun playing in traffic.

>>SIDS????????????????

Are you going to pick on a bleary eyed guy working on his second cup of coffee because he didn't type "SIDS and STARS"?

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwn.

I think he was referring to the fact that they are no longer called SIDs but rather DPs (departure procedures)...

DP's always reminds me of Displaced Persons, a term used for refugees during WWII. I guess I just like SID's better, and the higher time pilots I fly with always know what I mean.

You are correct, of course, that the charts at the front section of the NY area airports are labeled DP and STAR for departure and arrival.

I think I'm awake, now. Cup three arrival.....

Hey Timebuilder....

I was only picking on you 'cause I knew the coffee situation. Glad to see that cup 3 did it for you.:)

BTW, I solved that NE corridor problem. I simply don't go there anymore;) .

(Both eyes open now, 10:44 AM)

Thanks. I'll probobly be flying here for a looooong time, since I'm planning on a junior base for NetJets, probably TEB. :)

For flight planning I use this website:

www.fltplan.com

Works great! It takes a little time for setup, but it is outstanding once you are done. When you put in a departure and destination, it will usually give you some preferred routes between those cities or nearby cities. Those routes are ones that are submitted by pilots. The database of routes gets bigger everyday. If you know some routes that aren't in there, send them an email, and they will put that route in there within a few hours usually. I highly recommend this site. And, by the way, this site will file for you too.

Enjoy,
JetPilot500

Complicate it some more!

I average five re-routes per trip in and out of the NY area. I always write down whatever the final routing was I got and that is what I file the next time ... and I never get it!

One thing to consider is altitudes. Coming out of TEB headed down to NC, depending on the altitude (and airspeed, and aircraft type, etc.), I have been routed over WAVEY, WHITE, LANNA, and ELIOT. If you don't like a routing you get in the Northeast, ask the controller about a different altitude and you might get a slightly less unfavorable route.

Several prior suggestions are very good ... call the ARTCC, they will give you non-published preferred routings (of which there are many). Jump on to a published preferred route that is going your way. Use the DPs and STARs whenever possible. Carry extra pens with you to copy those reroutes. Depending on the GPS or FMS system your aircraft uses, it may be advantageous to save multiple routes between two points (e.g. IADTEB01, IADTEB02, etc.). Then, once you get a decent collection, it could be easier to just do a wholesale flight plan swap than to keep keying in a long list of airways and fixes in busy airspace. At my company, we keep routes in a Rolodex .... if I'm going to TEB, I pull that Rolodex card ... it has three or four routes to TEB on one side, and three or four out of TEB home on the other, and we'll make a note of rules (i.e. "below 230") so that we're less likely to get an airborne re-route.

Most importantly, do it a few times. Eventually, you'll get used to the way things happen up there and it'll actually become fun! I love going in to NY ... I always know I'll get a good mental workout!

Tailwinds, y'all ...

R

Hey Bart,

You're not out of the NE. Do you know about the basic "flow control" plan for the NE corridor. I usually like to think of a picket fence that has posts in DCA, PHL, LGA, and BOS. Any thing going basically NE bound is going to go up the east side of the fence, anything SW bound is going to be put on the west side of the fence. There are holes like WOOLY, BELAY, ARD and HFD where you can cross the fence (yes, there are more - but those are easy targets) and they allow you to get to your smaller airports.

It's kind of strange - I could be in Westminster (DMW) and want to get to Wilmington, DE (ILG). There's an airway right there that goes from EMI to DQO, but 60% of the time I'll get EMI Dir BAL V214 DQO. The return trip will be straight down V166 to EMI. Just the "big thinkers" and flow control out of the puzzle palace in Leesburg (Washington ARTCC).

T

Grits.

Also you asked about grits - sorry not a single place north of Richmond that I know of. However, you can get some tasty breakfasts.

Three of my favorites for breakfast are:

1.) Sunday Brunch at Jimmy's Blue Angels in Latrobe, PA
2.) Breakfast anytime at Easton, MD (ESN)
3.) Breakfasts at Ocean City, NJ

Other wholesome restaurants:

- Frederick, MD (FDK)
- Easton, MD (ESN) but it closes at 1430 daily
- Gaithersburg, MD (GAI)
- Lancaster, PA (LNS)
- Reading, PA (RDG)
- Coattesville, PA (Chester Co.)

Extravagant Dinners:

-Nick's Airport Inn, Hagerstown, MD (HGR)
-Aero Squadron Restaurants, Wilmington, DE (ILG)
(note there are sites at College Park, MD and NE Philly
but Wilmington is easier to get in and out)
-Flying W, Lumberton, NJ
-Allentown, PA (ABE) ask them to take you down to the Steak Place - can't remember the name -Humphrey's, Henry's, somthing.

But please remember that you have ventured north of the Mason-Dixon line - do not ask for grits, do not try the biscuits and don't trust anybody's barbeque unless you go all the way to Syracuse and Rochester, NY and try Dinosaur Barbeque.

Now you can get great chicken dishes at Easton and Salisbury, MD. You can get great crab cakes by landing in the grass at Queenstown Airport and walking to the marina or going to Ocean City, MD and asking them how to get to the Captain's Table Restaurant. You'd think all I did was eat when I fly places!

Latest resources

Back