Preferred Routing in the Northeast

bart

Decader
Total Time
3.5K+
Have spent some time over the last week flying out of small airports in the Northeast ( ME, MA, NJ, MD, NY) and had trouble getting anything other than full route clearances. The airports had no published (Jepps) preferred routing, so just used the airways that made sense (to me, anyway).

I can't imagine I am the only one (I pray I haven't missed something obvious...) that has experienced this. Is there a source for good info on routes into smaller airports, or is it just a fact of life to have to reprogram everything on the way to the runway?

cherokee

Total Time
6000+
If you can, pick up the clearance a half hour or so before departure so you can program it while shut down and not heads down during taxi. Either that or don't taxi until you're programmed.

350DRIVER

bart-
I fly the following BUF- POU- HPN- TEB- CLE (just to name a few) routes quite often every month and guess what??- yep you guessed it - "full route" clearance each and every time. This is very busy airspace in this part of the country so filing "direct" is going to do nothing good for you in fact if anything probably will delay you while clearance works with center to get you a "full route".....

I am sure you are not the only one- with practice and practice you will know the routes like the back of your hand and you will anticipate what to expect each and every time! ! ! - Start with the ID's.......- ! ! !

C H E E R S

3 5 0

While on with NY Center advise them that your "aircraft is short cut equiped today" which will usually save you a few minutes as well as filing "short cut welcomed" in remark section of flight plan may also work for you......

Frac Daddy

Total Time
Welcome to the Northeast

Bart,

All I can is that is the way it is. As far as getting your clearance early: That is a good idea, however, don't be suprised if you get a rerouting before takeoff. Happens from time to time. My personal record is three re-routes BEFORE departure at KIAD. As far as your flight planning goes: Pick a route that makes sense(this makes the controllers happy), but don't expect to get it. Those of us that fly IFR in the Northeast feel your pain.:D

bart

Decader
Total Time
3.5K+
Thanks for the advice, clearance before crank up and short cuts welcome.

Though I don't like it, as I am sure no pilot does, I am glad to hear that I wasn't missing some jewel publication...

bart

Decader
Total Time
3.5K+
Oh Yeah, one last thing: Anybody know a good place to get some grits up there when I am on the road?

Mickey

Total Time
12000+
I fly the Northeast a lot also. I usually get very few reroutes. If you look in the AFD for a preferred route that goes by your airport, pick a spot that you can join it. Think of the routes as a highway between two large cities. Just because there is no entrance ramp doesn't mean that you can't get on it with your off road vehichle. Good luck. With a little practice you'll figure it out. This should lower the number of reroutes you get. Take care.

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Total Time
Here's a start, Bart. Even after you file the preferred route, this will help you to get around.

Get out your 47-48 low chart, and go to the NY area inset on the far right of the 48 side. Study the intersections, BREZY, COATE, or any of the other intersections you recall from your experience. Trust me, if you were told to fly "direct COATE" once, it WILL happen again. Get to know the VORS that are part of the SIDS into the area, like Delancy, Broadway, and Stillwater, and others, such as Sparta. Get to know the George Washington Bridge. When you are going into Teterboro, you may be given "overhead left traffic for one nine" and the GW will be at your right front as you turn from downwind to base for 19 TEB.

Other landmarks you might want are the "Tappan Zee" bridge, north of the GW, and a tower near the Tappan Zee, whose name escapes me right now (only two cups of cofee so far...).

Aerial "tourist" photos can help, and road maps can show the highways you will get to know for some of the "visual" routes you will sometimes fly.

Controllers will rattle off their directives, making references to many fixes and headings which are used every day. As I did, you'll get used to them, and the expectation of those words will make them clear. When handed off to NY approach by Center, you may want to admit you are unfamiliar with this airspace, and his voice MAY slow down from 200 kts to 150.

Good luck. Oh, and watch out for the ABC TV tower north of TEB.

Last edited:

Nocturnal1

Master of the Cowbell
Total Time
15k+
NE Reroutes

Hey Bart,
Just a suggestion, Have you tried filing through DUATS? Most of the time the routing (autorouting) is what the ARTCC considers preferred. It's very common to not only get full route clearances in the NE but, multiple squak changes, and reroutes while enroute "NXXX I have a change to your clearance when ready to copy". Another option would be to call FSS and have a chat with them or have them patch you into ARTCC. I've found these folks to be helpful.

Hope this helps, as previously posted we all feel your pain. :D

trainerjet

Total Time
8000+
Timebuilder said:
Get to know the VORS that are part of the SIDS into the area, like Delancy, Broadway, and Stillwater, and others, such as Sparta.
SIDS????????????????

Lindy

Total Time
I second the AFD routing. It is preferred and ATC does utilize these routes!!

Additionally, check for the first fix on the departure in the "general" direction you are travelling and use that as the first fix to join the airway. Once you are away from the inital NY/BOS centers, then you can ask for direct and, depending on traffic (and weather), you will usually get something further down the road.

I fly out of BOS & PHL every day, same bat time, same bat route, and guess what? It changes every day depending on ?? OK, there is really only two ways each way, but I seem to find them every other day!!

Enjoy the northeast -- it's fun playing in traffic.

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Total Time
>>SIDS????????????????

Are you going to pick on a bleary eyed guy working on his second cup of coffee because he didn't type "SIDS and STARS"?

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwn.

cherokee

Total Time
6000+
I think he was referring to the fact that they are no longer called SIDs but rather DPs (departure procedures)...

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Total Time
DP's always reminds me of Displaced Persons, a term used for refugees during WWII. I guess I just like SID's better, and the higher time pilots I fly with always know what I mean.

You are correct, of course, that the charts at the front section of the NY area airports are labeled DP and STAR for departure and arrival.

I think I'm awake, now. Cup three arrival.....

trainerjet

Total Time
8000+
Hey Timebuilder....

I was only picking on you 'cause I knew the coffee situation. Glad to see that cup 3 did it for you.:)

BTW, I solved that NE corridor problem. I simply don't go there anymore;) .

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Total Time
(Both eyes open now, 10:44 AM)

Thanks. I'll probobly be flying here for a looooong time, since I'm planning on a junior base for NetJets, probably TEB. :)

JetPilot500

Total Time
For flight planning I use this website:

www.fltplan.com

Works great! It takes a little time for setup, but it is outstanding once you are done. When you put in a departure and destination, it will usually give you some preferred routes between those cities or nearby cities. Those routes are ones that are submitted by pilots. The database of routes gets bigger everyday. If you know some routes that aren't in there, send them an email, and they will put that route in there within a few hours usually. I highly recommend this site. And, by the way, this site will file for you too.

Enjoy,
JetPilot500

flywithruss

Rocky Top!
Total Time
Complicate it some more!

I average five re-routes per trip in and out of the NY area. I always write down whatever the final routing was I got and that is what I file the next time ... and I never get it!

One thing to consider is altitudes. Coming out of TEB headed down to NC, depending on the altitude (and airspeed, and aircraft type, etc.), I have been routed over WAVEY, WHITE, LANNA, and ELIOT. If you don't like a routing you get in the Northeast, ask the controller about a different altitude and you might get a slightly less unfavorable route.

Several prior suggestions are very good ... call the ARTCC, they will give you non-published preferred routings (of which there are many). Jump on to a published preferred route that is going your way. Use the DPs and STARs whenever possible. Carry extra pens with you to copy those reroutes. Depending on the GPS or FMS system your aircraft uses, it may be advantageous to save multiple routes between two points (e.g. IADTEB01, IADTEB02, etc.). Then, once you get a decent collection, it could be easier to just do a wholesale flight plan swap than to keep keying in a long list of airways and fixes in busy airspace. At my company, we keep routes in a Rolodex .... if I'm going to TEB, I pull that Rolodex card ... it has three or four routes to TEB on one side, and three or four out of TEB home on the other, and we'll make a note of rules (i.e. "below 230") so that we're less likely to get an airborne re-route.

Most importantly, do it a few times. Eventually, you'll get used to the way things happen up there and it'll actually become fun! I love going in to NY ... I always know I'll get a good mental workout!

Tailwinds, y'all ...

R

tarp

Total Time
Lots
Hey Bart,

You're not out of the NE. Do you know about the basic "flow control" plan for the NE corridor. I usually like to think of a picket fence that has posts in DCA, PHL, LGA, and BOS. Any thing going basically NE bound is going to go up the east side of the fence, anything SW bound is going to be put on the west side of the fence. There are holes like WOOLY, BELAY, ARD and HFD where you can cross the fence (yes, there are more - but those are easy targets) and they allow you to get to your smaller airports.

It's kind of strange - I could be in Westminster (DMW) and want to get to Wilmington, DE (ILG). There's an airway right there that goes from EMI to DQO, but 60% of the time I'll get EMI Dir BAL V214 DQO. The return trip will be straight down V166 to EMI. Just the "big thinkers" and flow control out of the puzzle palace in Leesburg (Washington ARTCC).

T

tarp

Total Time
Lots
Grits.

Also you asked about grits - sorry not a single place north of Richmond that I know of. However, you can get some tasty breakfasts.

Three of my favorites for breakfast are:

1.) Sunday Brunch at Jimmy's Blue Angels in Latrobe, PA
2.) Breakfast anytime at Easton, MD (ESN)
3.) Breakfasts at Ocean City, NJ

Other wholesome restaurants:

- Frederick, MD (FDK)
- Easton, MD (ESN) but it closes at 1430 daily
- Gaithersburg, MD (GAI)
- Lancaster, PA (LNS)
- Reading, PA (RDG)
- Coattesville, PA (Chester Co.)

Extravagant Dinners:

-Nick's Airport Inn, Hagerstown, MD (HGR)
-Aero Squadron Restaurants, Wilmington, DE (ILG)
(note there are sites at College Park, MD and NE Philly
but Wilmington is easier to get in and out)
-Flying W, Lumberton, NJ
-Allentown, PA (ABE) ask them to take you down to the Steak Place - can't remember the name -Humphrey's, Henry's, somthing.

But please remember that you have ventured north of the Mason-Dixon line - do not ask for grits, do not try the biscuits and don't trust anybody's barbeque unless you go all the way to Syracuse and Rochester, NY and try Dinosaur Barbeque.

Now you can get great chicken dishes at Easton and Salisbury, MD. You can get great crab cakes by landing in the grass at Queenstown Airport and walking to the marina or going to Ocean City, MD and asking them how to get to the Captain's Table Restaurant. You'd think all I did was eat when I fly places!