• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pre Acquisition Applicants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
when your looking for a job or when your company is struggling financially it would be stupid and irresponsible not to apply to every airline out there. It doesn't mean you would like to work for a particular airline, just that your hedging your bets just in case. I personally know of three pilots that applied to airtran only to get shot down in the interview, then later on got hired on at southwest. It proves nothing , that is just the industry we work in. People who keep bringing up the point about airtran pilots applying to swa at some point are clueless. Its meaningless, get a life.

when your looking for a job or when your company is struggling financially it would be stupid and irresponsible not to apply to every airline out there. It doesn't mean you would like to work for a particular airline, just that your hedging your bets just in case. I personally know of three pilots that applied to airtran only to get shot down in the interview, then later on got hired on at southwest. It proves nothing , that is just the industry we work in. People who keep bringing up the point about airtran pilots applying to swa at some point are clueless. Its meaningless, get a life.

It shoots a lot of holes in the 'merger of equals' argument. As such, it eliminates both relative seniority and date of hire as reasonable outcomes.

Frankly, this is not a merger of equals.

It shoots a lot of holes in the 'merger of equals' argument. As such, it eliminates both relative seniority and date of hire as reasonable outcomes.

Frankly, this is not a merger of equals

what are you talking about? Both companies are profitable low cost airlines that fly 737's. Granted airtran's operating cost are lower . The main difference is size airtran is about 1/4 of sw size. Date of hire is Fair.

what are you talking about? Both companies are profitable low cost airlines that fly 737's. Granted airtran's operating cost are lower . The main difference is size airtran is about 1/4 of sw size. Date of hire is Fair.[/QUOTE]

I assume this is propaganda. Otherwise you truly are clueless.

What about the guys like me who never applied to SWA? I guess we should get tossed under the bus because of the 700 who had applied? That is why this argument is useless. I think we should leave it up to our NCs to decide what is fair.

what are you talking about? Both companies are profitable low cost airlines that fly 737's. Granted airtran's operating cost are lower . The main difference is size airtran is about 1/4 of sw size. Date of hire is Fair.

Bendover, have you ever read a 10Q or 10K? AirTran hocked just about every asset they had. Part of the reason for the sale was that they couldn't afford to pay for the aircraft they had on order. Cash on hand was shrinking.
Here are numbers for 3Q2010:
AirTran's CASM for employee salaries was 2.06 cents.
AirTran's total CASM was 9.75 cents.
AirTran's TRASM was 10.65 cents

Move AirTran's employees up to Southwest wages and AirTran's losing money. Did I mention that 3Q2010 was AirTran's best quarter in 2010?
For 2010, AirTran's CASM was 10.35 cents and their TRASM was 10.88 cents.

The majority of AirTran's aircraft are 717s.

You've presented a fact free point of view.

What about the guys like me who never applied to SWA? I guess we should get tossed under the bus because of the 700 who had applied? That is why this argument is useless. I think we should leave it up to our NCs to decide what is fair.

You already let your NC decide what was fair. AirTran's NC thought that DOH minus ~4 years with pay sweeteners was fair.

No way DOH would float at SW. Sorry.

It's like merging apples and slim jims. Not even close to equals. The very reason you guys were high fiving after the announcement, SW pilots...not so much. Sorry. Its an acquistion of non-equals.

I'd say at this point...DOH-5 with some junior AAI CA coming to FO might work. I don't think SWAPA will be interested in anything less right now. Not with the CEO pulling all help and talking about other options. Just my take. I'd say a negotiated settlement has a 30% chance at best, Gary won't go the arbitration route.

We all know there were a lot of Trannys with applications on file at SWA before the acquisition.

Which raises the obvious questions; If those guys were willing to go to the bottom of the SWA list pre acquisition, what, exactly has changed?

And more importantly, what does ALPA say when the SWAPA lawyer drops a copy of all the applications on the arbitrator's desk?

<<Edited because I honestly don't know the exact number.>>

It....just......won't......matter.

What if those applicants personally decided right before the merger that maybe Southwest wasn't their first choice, and that maybe they liked where AT was going? Current pay won't matter, only what each side brings to the merger. Planes, slots, hubs. Not applications. But, I guess you can try? Go for it.

OYS

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back