Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gkrangers

college = debt
So...why do I need to learn how to do chandelles, eights on pylons, etc...?

I'm just curious what the "logic" behind them is.

Gonna start comm stuff soon.

Thanks.

I don't know but maybe you're taking off in a valley or in an area of other obstructions and need to do a 180 and gain as much altitude as possible - it must of been a useful maneuver...if it wasn't an important one, then the French wouldn't have stolen credit for it.

And Lazy Eights are just for you to demonstrate how adept you are an handling the plane. Crop Dusters look like they are doing something like a Lazy Eight when they climb out, do a 180 and then dive back down at the field.

Steep turns around a point - they are useful if you are spying on your brother-in-law to try to find out if he is cheating on your sister....the same goes for slow flying.

I don't know about eights on pylons though - it is a groovy maneuver though.

gkrangers said:
So...why do I need to learn how to do chandelles, eights on pylons, etc...?

I'm unaware of any widely applicable practical purpose. For me, I finally learned how to use the rudder with those maneuvers.

Pilot Doc said:
I'm unaware of any widely applicable practical purpose. For me, I finally learned how to use the rudder with those maneuvers.

You know that's probably a BIG reason for it - before working on my commercial, about the only time I used the pedals is when taxiing. After working on the commercial maneuvers, I was just allot more comfortable with the airplane - so apparently, they are useful.

They needed something to put on the commercial checkride, and that's what they came up with. I believe the chandelle was originally intended as an escape maneuver if you find yourself in a boxed canyon. Of course, if you found yourself in that situation without a very good reason, something went wrong and maybe you shouldn't have a comercial certificate at all. (someone's gonna yell at me for saying that, I can see it now).

I guess the real purpose of learning the maneuver is coordination and keeping you thinking ahead of the airplane.

besides being a box canyon escape manuever, another purpose is to watch a students scan inside to outside and not fixate on either aspect.

Latest resources

Back