• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Practical purposes of comm maneuvers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me add a bit to this. As an airline pilot (if this is your goal) you want to be smooth on the controls to the extreme. Consider this - sloppy rudder control in a c152 is barely noticed. Fly an aircraft 30 to 75 ft long and passengers in the last row really feel it! Paying customers be it an airline, or charter expect perfection. As crazy as these maneuvers sound now, being proficient in doing them is gonna pay off - trust me. Hope that adds another explanation.

pilotmiketx said:
As far as box canyons go, I prefer the 1/2 turn spin. Certainly easier than an immelman or hammerhead.:D
I prefer overflight at FL390 or above.

'Sled

Chandelle: The objective of this maneuver is to develop the pilot's coordination, orientation, planning, and feel for maximum performance flight, and to develop positive control techniques at varying airspeeds and attitudes.

Lazy Eight: The objective of the lazy eight is to develop the pilot's feel for varying control forces, and the ability to plan and remain oriented while maneuvering the airplane with positive, accurate control. It requires constantly changing control pressures necessitated by changing combinations of climbing and descending turns at varying airspeeds. This is a maneuver often used to develop and demonstrate the pilot's mastery of the airplane in maximum performance flight situations.

Taken from FAA-H-8083-3 (Airplane Flying Handbook, since you probably don't have one)

There mainly to see how smooth and accurate you can fly the aircraft. Also to see how well you can keep the plane coordinated.

sopdan said:
Chandelle: The objective of this maneuver is to develop the pilot's coordination, orientation, planning, and feel for maximum performance flight, and to develop positive control techniques at varying airspeeds and attitudes.

Lazy Eight: The objective of the lazy eight is to develop the pilot's feel for varying control forces, and the ability to plan and remain oriented while maneuvering the airplane with positive, accurate control. It requires constantly changing control pressures necessitated by changing combinations of climbing and descending turns at varying airspeeds. This is a maneuver often used to develop and demonstrate the pilot's mastery of the airplane in maximum performance flight situations.

Taken from FAA-H-8083-3 (Airplane Flying Handbook, since you probably don't have one)
I've got one.

gkrangers said:
I've got one.

Then read it. Believe it or not, there's actually some good info in it. Like, oh I dunno... something like the purpose of different types of maneuvers. :)

sopdan said:
Then read it. Believe it or not, there's actually some good info in it. Like, oh I dunno... something like the purpose of different types of maneuvers. :)

So what is a "maximum performance flight situation" that I might use a Lazy eight in?

I can see in the statement you quoted why they're in the PTS...but is that the only practical purpose? To pass the "practical" test? If so, that's pretty weak.

The Airman instructors always told me, however, that the purpose of the maneuvers was to pass the checkride...take that for what its worth though.

-mini

Everyone has forgotten the most important reason for doing the commercial manuevers: Giving your instructor the chance to work for a couple hours and make some money so he can afford to buy a tank of gas and a jar of peanut butter.

groundpointsix said:
Everyone has forgotten the most important reason for doing the commercial manuevers: Giving your instructor the chance to work for a couple hours and make some money so he can afford to buy a tank of gas and a jar of peanut butter.

DOH! I knew I missed a few questions in the oral....darn it...

-mini

Latest resources

Back