• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Practical cost savings for ASA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't let the "Legendary Implementer" scare you. They would have furloughed by now if they were going to furlough....heard its too late to furlough now as it would be more expensive than not furloughing....

That being said, if Mesaba opens an ATL base I would definitely look at my options....

Last edited:
Don't let the "Legendary Implementer" scare you. They would have furloughed by now if they were going to furlough....heard its too late to furlough now as it would be more expensive than not furloughing....

That being said, if Mesaba opens an ATL base I would definitely look at my options....

1) Guess again. What happens around Christmas? We get very busy. It is expensive to furlough and recall but you can never rule out a furlough. Those of you who arrived after the contract was signed, I'd be keeping my options open. Does not mean it will happen but you never know.....

2) Mesaba will have a crew base in ATL. The parking spaces out on 6N remote has been painted in anticipation.

I don't think they will furlough. Not til March 09 at least. (Mesa flying) By there will be absolutely no point in furloughing til the fall.

In this current economy Skywest Inc has a key asset many regionals don't have, a huge amount of cash. 5 years from now all the regionals that are out there right now some will not be around, Skywest Inc will.

If the F word is such an absolute at ASA, then why would Brad paint such a rosy picture about our future on his latest weekly update?

I think we could agree he his smart enough to not paint a picture like this if something was such an absolute.

I think it is a possibility, but right now I think they are hedging thier bet on needing us sooner rather than later.

Obviously, we all know that upper managment will lie to us, but I give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. He has not really left the door open wide enough to turn and say this was something I warned against everytime I wrote.

I'm not blind, just willing to take his word till he proves otherwise.

Medeco

I think all you DCI regionals are going to get played like a fiddle. Get ready to start stabbing your competition...I mean "brothers"....here it comes..and you can have it.

Medeco,

I did not get any sense at all of a Rosy picture by Brad! Sure, we all work for a company that is making money in these trying economic times, blah, blah, blah.....

Truth be told, all those profits we glean from Delta are also costly to Delta, making us a higher cost lift provider. Instead of pilot salaries or a few extra office workers, maybe it is the big 13% profit Skywest is making off Delta that is pricing us out of the market for future growth. Fact of the matter is that Mesa and Pinnacle elect to fly aircraft for much less profit margin than ASA is "making". This is why they get all the flying.

I tend to Read more in to CT's message that we are getting zero growth, are shutting down recruiting and hiring, and sending 25 instructors back to the line, (Back on reserve, here I come) as a truer reflection of where we stand.

Maybe our mgt team is just being conservative, and trying to get a leg up on everyone else. Delta is concentrating on the mainline merger, and very little on DCI. Let's face it, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut plan regarding DCI, from Delta. We won't have any clue what is in store for us until mid winter, at the earliest. Don't brow beat yourselves into a state of low morale until there is a reason too. So far, we've lost 3 aircraft in a hangar derby, and the ATR's, which we knew were leaving a year ago. All in all, I'd say we're not in a bad gig yet.

On another note, I flew with a Captain on this trip that was bitching about wanting to grow, but had absolutetely NO concept of fuel burn/savings in any capacity. APU+ both engines/ max power, all the time. Absolutely amazed me. Being a displaced Captain myself, It took every nerve in my body to keep from having a $hi+ hemorage in the right seat....

Interesting Jumpers...... and good retort.

I'm curious, did you feel comfortable at all calling the Captains attention to his inconsistency? Crying about costs and doing nothing to help control them is a bit hypocritical.

My morale may be dropping, but I will still do all I can to pitch in for the lost cause!

Interesting Jumpers...... and good retort.

I'm curious, did you feel comfortable at all calling the Captains attention to his inconsistency? Crying about costs and doing nothing to help control them is a bit hypocritical.

My morale may be dropping, but I will still do all I can to pitch in for the lost cause!

I hear you about the morale- I'm in the same boat......believe me. Anyways, I did bring up the fuel burn issue, about single engine taxi, etc. The reply I got was that he would burn less gas when management got us more flying. At that point, there was the mental "palm to forehead", as I couldn't believe the logic. I suppose my biggest obstacle, is re-adjusting to my possition as First Officer. I got waaaay to used to running the aircraft how I wanted to run it, and am now finding it increasingly difficult to do stuff like this. Right now, I'm just trying to be a good F/O and keep my mouth shut.

Latest resources

Back