Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Last night, second lesson, I did stalls and landings. My instructor taught me to do power-off landings. Is this the norm? I thought you learned partial power landings first. I have a lesson again tomorrow and Sunday.

P.S. They were also no flap landings. He said that we should learn no flap landings first so it will make the flap landings easy.

What kind of airplane are you using? Most of the time we want no power being developed during the landing flare to decrease landing distance. I teach my students to land with no flaps, partial flaps and full flaps. I teach full flaps first since they are easier and it's easier for my students to learn. But that's just my 0.02. But to answer your question, in most trainers no power/thrust is used.

Yeah, Some Instructors will teach you power off landings in the begining also.
My Instructor did this to me. Practicing power off landings help perfect the skill just incase of an engine failure....I think. Right now, I'm practicing crosswimd take-offs and slip landings...Fun, challenging and akward feeling all rolled up in ball of dough.

Folks If Your Flying A Sel Aircraft, Please Learn The Right Way. Power Off Is The Correct Way, Just Look At The Faa Handbook. I Was Always Reminded Of That Big Flight School Across The Field, When They Gear Up There Cutlass, Why You Ask, B/c They Were Taught Partial Power Landings. So In The Flare, Two Things Happened, The Gear Horn Went Off, And The Plane Went Skidding Down The Runway!!!!!

Folks If Your Flying A Sel Aircraft, Please Learn The Right Way. Power Off Is The Correct Way, Just Look At The Faa Handbook. I Was Always Reminded Of That Big Flight School Across The Field, When They Gear Up There Cutlass, Why You Ask, B/c They Were Taught Partial Power Landings. So In The Flare, Two Things Happened, The Gear Horn Went Off, And The Plane Went Skidding Down The Runway!!!!!
In order to head off some confusion...Josh, where exactly is your instructor having you reduce power to idle?

Fly safe!

David

Every landing is different. Circumstances change. One should be taught to land with and without power. Yesterday I flew a fast approach that required power to touchdown followed by a lot of reverse. That was a power on approach. Other times, the power may be pulled to idle crossing the fence, other times not.

One uses what one needs, when one needs it.

Learning approaches and landings without power is necessary not only for routine operations, but for emergencies.

Landing with power is often advisable or necessary. Some aircrft land in the same attitude and configuration as they approach. The throttle or power levers may be smoothly closed in a flare, or no flare may be required and the power maintained until the mains are on the ground.

Use what's needed, where needed. Absolutes are poor airmanship in many cases. As for landing gear...that's strictly a pilot failure. Don't rely upon habit. Don't rely upon gear warning. Don't rely upon the concept that the gear ought to be down because you always put it down at a certain point. Consistancy is fine, but use a checklist, don't skip items, and do your ob in the cockpit. Don't blame failure to extend the gear on a partial power landing. You fail to put the gear down...it's all you.

My CFI is having me reduce power abeam the numbers and then flying no-power through the base and final. He said I should keep the speed at 70 kts and that will give me the proper descent. I fly 70 all the way to about 1 foot off the runway and hold it 'till the elevator is fully deflected and the plane stalls.

How much dual given does your CFI have? He doesn't sound like the best CFI, but give him a chance. Everyone has there own way of teaching someone how to land, and most of them work.

My CFI is having me reduce power abeam the numbers and then flying no-power through the base and final. He said I should keep the speed at 70 kts and that will give me the proper descent. I fly 70 all the way to about 1 foot off the runway and hold it 'till the elevator is fully deflected and the plane stalls.
Well, that's probably as close to the way I started teaching landings as you can get...I started teaching in gliders, and my students could pull half spoilers abeam the touchdown point and make a spot landing without moving the spoilers at all. Prior to solo, I might add...it's amazing what you can teach somebody who doesn't know any better ;)

I would consider it a good "building block" training technique...get the landings figured out, then add power to think about, then add flaps (or vise-versa).

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back