• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Potential bidder circling Sun Country Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was flying at PCL during the Northwest strike. Northwest requested both Pinnacle and Mesaba to continue their EXISTING flying, and only labeled "struck work" as routes that neither PCL nor Mesaba flew BEFORE the strike and/or any ADDITIONAL pairings between cities that were served by NWA mainline.

They didn't want to see PCL or Mesaba pilots harmed by the companies disciplining pilots for refusing to fly and knew that the airlinks had only enough uplift to offset about 20% of all mainline flying. In Other Words, they could still hold an effective strike having only 50- seat CRJ's and Saabs out there running in the system.

Both PCL and Mesaba were allowed to continue flying during the NWA strike, but management quickly parked everyone when it was obvious that they couldn't do anything but strand their connecting passengers. The important thing to note is that PCL and Mesaba never had to choose to shut down operations in a "sympathy strike" or "struck work" situation because the NWA pilots never asked for such. At least, that's my recollection of it and what our MEC relayed.

Richard...you didn't get hired at Express I until two years, eleven months, and 19 days after the '98 NWA strike started. Neither Express I or Mesaba were given the option of a continued operation and nobody was operating 50-seat RJs at the time. In fact, the only RJs that were in service at the time were fewer than 20 Avros at Mesaba. Northwest had no intention of running an airline with around 100 dusty old Saabs and a handful of Avros.

Richard...you didn't get hired at Express I until two years, eleven months, and 19 days after the '98 NWA strike started. Neither Express I or Mesaba were given the option of a continued operation and nobody was operating 50-seat RJs at the time. In fact, the only RJs that were in service at the time were fewer than 20 Avros at Mesaba. Northwest had no intention of running an airline with around 100 dusty old Saabs and a handful of Avros.
You're right, Don, was in a hurry, thinking of the mechanic's strike a few years ago.

During the '98 pilot's strike I was at Flexjet...

Southwest already has a certificate with 180 ETOPS for the 737- ATA Airlines. They don't need to buy anybody to start the islands etc...

Southwest, for sure. SCA is the reason WN hasn't added any flights from MSP, then throw in ETOPS 120 and 180. SWA is my bet.
Swa Bought ATA, they have the ETOPS cert already , Just need to dust it off and get some proving run's under the belt and Viola. .

Latest resources

Back