• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Potential bidder circling Sun Country Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also every suncountry or skywest pilot who was to fly the struck at Tranny will be labeled a scab and never get hired anywhere else again. Skywest has avoided this so far but they could become a scab outfit very shortly with only a few AC. Tranny needs a strike vote now and ASAP cooling off.

That's only technicaly true if they were actually employed by Air Tran. Look at the NWA strike back in 98. All the regionals still operated. I don't hear anyone calling Mesaba scabs.

That's only technicaly true if they were actually employed by Air Tran. Look at the NWA strike back in 98. All the regionals still operated. I don't hear anyone calling Mesaba scabs.

Not true. XJ and PCL (Express) did not fly struck work, and basically ceased operations for the duration of the NWA strike.

Last edited:
Sun Country is ALPA and would not do harm to the Air Tran pilots ability to negotiate a contract. I think Air Tran has few worries about scabs at SCA. That being said, I don't think it's Air Tran looking at SCA. They have looked twice at SCA and balked twice. Plus, I think Air Tran would know what they would be buying this time around since Stan Gadek is running the show at SCA. My feeling is it's a private buyer not another airline.

Sun Country is ALPA and would not do harm to the Air Tran pilots ability to negotiate a contract. I think Air Tran has few worries about scabs at SCA. That being said, I don't think it's Air Tran looking at SCA. They have looked twice at SCA and balked twice. Plus, I think Air Tran would know what they would be buying this time around since Stan Gadek is running the show at SCA. My feeling is it's a private buyer not another airline.

Great Schaf...another millionaire who thinks owning an airline would be fun. Just what we need!

Also every suncountry or skywest pilot who was to fly the struck at Tranny will be labeled a scab and never get hired anywhere else again. Skywest has avoided this so far but they could become a scab outfit very shortly with only a few AC. Tranny needs a strike vote now and ASAP cooling off.
Not necessarily. They would ONLY be labeled as Scabs IF the AirTran MEC notified all airlines that:

1. They ARE requesting that pilots not fly any AirTran routes.
2. They declare ALL routes to be "struck work".
3. The SCA and/or Skywest pilots then flew ANYWAY.

You have to declare your routes as "struck work" in advance of the strike in time for other MEC's to notify their management and advise their pilots what is considered "struck work".

Not quite. Reference above.

Not true. XJ and PCL (Express) did not fly struck work, and basically ceased operations for the duration of the NWA strike.
That's somewhat true, but not the whole story.

I was flying at PCL during the Northwest strike. Northwest requested both Pinnacle and Mesaba to continue their EXISTING flying, and only labeled "struck work" as routes that neither PCL nor Mesaba flew BEFORE the strike and/or any ADDITIONAL pairings between cities that were served by NWA mainline.

They didn't want to see PCL or Mesaba pilots harmed by the companies disciplining pilots for refusing to fly and knew that the airlinks had only enough uplift to offset about 20% of all mainline flying. In Other Words, they could still hold an effective strike having only 50- seat CRJ's and Saabs out there running in the system.

Both PCL and Mesaba were allowed to continue flying during the NWA strike, but management quickly parked everyone when it was obvious that they couldn't do anything but strand their connecting passengers. The important thing to note is that PCL and Mesaba never had to choose to shut down operations in a "sympathy strike" or "struck work" situation because the NWA pilots never asked for such. At least, that's my recollection of it and what our MEC relayed.

Last edited:
Southwest, for sure. SCA is the reason WN hasn't added any flights from MSP, then throw in ETOPS 120 and 180. SWA is my bet.

Latest resources

Back