• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible DL hiring in 2014?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furlough and Furlough Bypass are different are they not? No one is on furlough that has not been offered recall. All are on furlough bypass.

Ref PWA 21 C.7
A pilot who has bypassed recall will be subject to the following:
a. he will be ineligible to receive furlough pay,
b. he may only return to duty:
1) in conjunction with a subsequent recall or new hire class, and
2) if he has notified the Company in writing of his desire to accept recall at least 30
days in advance of the class date on which he wishes to return
Note one: The Company is not required to recall pilots in numbers greater than it deems necessary in a new-hire or recall class.
Note two: If there are more pilots who have bypassed recall that seek to return to duty than the Company has determined is required, such pilots will be returned to duty, in seniority order and prior to any new hire, in conjunction with Company scheduled new hire or recall classes,
and
c. his employment will be terminated if he does not return to duty within ten years from his date of furlough.

We have not pilots on furlough so we will not have "recall" classes, only new hire classes.

There were recall classes in 2010 that preceded new hire classes. Recalls have a different training footprint if I'm not mistaken, so it would be in the company's best interest not to mix them. For example, if 50 of the 203 furloughed pilots indicate they wish to return, they would be put into one or more recall classes, and would precede new hire classes, like in 2010.

As far as I'm aware, there is no such thing as a "furlough bypass pilot". We have 203 pilots on furlough who have chosen to bypass all of their recall opportunities to date.

The ALPA board has a good thread on this. It sounds like we may have recall classes in late 2013, and new hire classes in early 2014. Of course, a furloughed pilot could return in 2014 in conjunction with new hire classes too.

The late summer AE-surplus bid might have more vacancies than pilots to fill them, it might make sense to offer recall to fill the void ahead of the new hire classes next year.

We had furlough returns in my new hire class, the only difference i noticed is that they showed up two days later than new hires in the two week class and they didn't go to the new hire dinner.

From the Council 1 meeting this month:

"Hiring: We anticipate a nominal amount of hiring in 2014; currently estimating 60 per month January-June, then 20 per month."

So, if the above is true (?), there would be 360 newhires from Jan-Jun, and then 120 from JUL-DEC, for a possible total of 480 in 2014. Some may ask why not start sooner? I think the training dept will be slammed with outgoing DC9 pilots transitioning to other planes, initial 717 crews will be trained, and many people in between are moving from plane to plane. So, IMO, the sims will be full this year. Throw in a possible used widebodies coming (rumor) which will cause more internal training, and things will be busy for awhile. Then throw in tons of retirements over the next 3-5 years.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I heard no hiring at DAL until Fall of 2014.

We don't have any requirement to hire pinnacle pilots. They have only been promised interviews, not jobs.

... Yikes. You haven't read the thing yourself obviously, have you. You would be correct if you said we are not all being promised jobs, but we are promised interviews and a number of Pinnacle pilots have to be in each class.

Look I'm not saying that a lawyer couldn't find a way out of the SSP (or whatever the hell we are calling it) but you're either silly or ignorant to the agreement if you believe the quoted txt.

Latest resources

Back