Polarized Sunglasses and the CRJ Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jstyle13 said:
I wouldn't wear any other type of sun glasses. On occasion when the angle of the sun and the window is right you see some discoloration in the window. My eye's are sensitve to bright white light and glare and I wouldn't wear anything other than a polarized pair of sunglasses. No probs with the CRT's either.

jj

I will agree with the above. This has been my experience in the CRJ also.

Polarized sunglasses are not allowed in commercial airliners due to the potential interference with the view when looking out through heated electric windshields.

boeingdriver213 said:
Polarized sunglasses are not allowed in commercial airliners due to the potential interference with the view when looking out through heated electric windshields.

Please state your source/reference.

boeingdriver213 said:

Not in our Ops Manual, nor anywhere in the FAR/AIM...

Put me down for wanting to know the source also.

Thanks.

I've never seen anything in writing about it being prohibited but I'm not sure it is the smartest idea. Let's think about it, what is the purpose of polarizing sunglasses? To cut glare from reflections, mainly from water and snow. Not all that many reflections up above the clouds or below them for that matter, but the places where it matters (instruments and windscreens) get cut out randomly.

I vote with the Serengetti contingent. I wear polarized glasses skiing, sailing and driving but not flying. Frankly, one of the better ways to pick out traffic is the reflection off it and polarized glasses cut that out.

I guess what I'm saying is that the things polarized glasses are good at aren't that important for most flying and the side effects could be a real problem.

I disagree. Polarized glasses cut huge amounts of glare from the top of the glareshield and the windshield itself, thus helping see traffic better. If you don't like the occasional patterns on the windshield, then don't use them.

That sounds like a great design. You need sunglasses to cut down on the glare from the GLARESHIELD. And I thought the 737 was a little long in the tooth, but at least our glareshield is a matte black, thus no glare.

Whatever works, guess I didn't think of that. I'll revise my statement, in a 737, I'd say polarized are not necessary. Now maybe in them there planes with the shiny glareshields, you might need them.

Here's a web site in which the Navy states that it will not allow its pilots to wear polarized lenses. www.vnh.org/fsmanual/09/08eyewear.html.

Do a quick internet search. It's not hard to find flight surgeons who are adamant about people not wearing polarized lenses while flying. I can't cut an paste into here otherwise I would.

Latest resources

Back