Polarized Sunglasses and the CRJ Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vref+10

Has anyone used polarized sunglasses in the CRJ?

I don't think the CRT's will be a problem, because I don't think that they are polarized like your typical LCD displays (cell phones, etc), and the angle on the CRT displays is not very great, unless looking over at the other pilot's displays.

I'm more worried about looking through the heated windshields.

Vref+10 said:
Has anyone used polarized sunglasses in the CRJ?

I don't think the CRT's will be a problem, because I don't think that they are polarized like your typical LCD displays (cell phones, etc), and the angle on the CRT displays is not very great, unless looking over at the other pilot's displays.

I'm more worried about looking through the heated windshields.

I believe you just answered your own question.

I wouldn't do it. When I wear my regular glasses, they have a clip-on sunglasses attachement. These are polarized. They drive me nuts. I went and had prescription sunglasses made.

My regular sunglasses (when I'm wearing contacts) are also un-polarized. I just wouldn't do it with the windshields. I fly the ERJ, but I'm assuming it's the same.

Does anyone remember those old Blue-Blockers they used to advertise? I discovered that they did a good job of making some of the displays disappear on the CRJ. Particularly the aircraft outline on the Doors page.

I love my polarized sunglasses in the CRJ. No problem what so ever, except for the ISI. On all the old a/c with the old standby instrumentation, no prob, but with the ISI, you lose sight of it when you turn your head 90 degrees.

I tried polorized sunglasses in the CRJ and got tired of the CRTs looking like an old 3D movie. The windshied wasn't that bad, but if the sun hit it just right, it looks like it was washed with some WD40.

For God's sake just get a pair of Serengeti's with the "drivers" lenses and forget about it. They are simply unbeatable for cutting though haze and will not give you ANY problems with EFIS screens or windshields. Trust me on this one people...Go to www.ocutique.com , they have a great discounted price on them and I have ordered from them in the past with no problems...

It's been a while but check out the FAR/AIM. If I'm not too far out of the loop (quite a likely scenario) there's something about wearing polarized lenses while flying. I believe it's illegal, but again you'd need to read the book.

I wouldn't wear any other type of sun glasses. On occasion when the angle of the sun and the window is right you see some discoloration in the window. My eye's are sensitve to bright white light and glare and I wouldn't wear anything other than a polarized pair of sunglasses. No probs with the CRT's either.

jj

Latest resources

Back