Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar pilots - would you take me on the Jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

longhaul

Hi guys, just a question: I am a US citizen who flys for a major European flag carrier. I commute from ORD to AMS, usually on my own airline but it would be really convenient to go on Polar from time to time, especially on the way back. Our pilots are not in CASS, and we cannot reciprocate at this time, although we have now become one of the first Euro carriers to have a jumpseat program for our own pilots, so maybe someday.... I have an FAA ATP and I have read here that you need to apply for the jumpseat 2 days in advance. Considering that I do not work for a US carrier and that we cannot reciprocate, what are my chances? Thanks.

Hey Longhaul,
I don't work for Polar, but try to get they're jumpseat coordinator's number and talk to him or her.
Good luck

Try also Gemini they have a flexible jump seat policy and you will find all the info in the company web-site. They were used to have a published schedule on-line too.
http://www.gac-cargo.com/.

By the way for who do you work in Europe? I am about to make the jump...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the jumpseat access policy is now in the hands of TSA and the Co. Current policy requires that YOU fly for a DOMESTIC carrier currently approved under the CASS program. This issue has come up with some of our furloughed pilots flying for foreign carriers, and the responce from TSA and the company, has been as stated above. Good luck...

I didnt see anything about CASS on the website. Just said FAA 121 and 135 carriers. Do you need to be in CASS as well to catch a ride?

I didnt see anything about CASS on the website. Just said FAA 121 and 135 carriers. Do you need to be in CASS as well to catch a ride?

Pretty sure you do - no cockpit doors on a freighter so it's the same as being on the flight deck of a pax carrier.

Try also Gemini they have a flexible jump seat policy and you will find all the info in the company web-site. They were used to have a published schedule on-line too.
http://www.gac-cargo.com/.

By the way for who do you work in Europe? I am about to make the jump...:rolleyes:

considering he said major european carrier and jumpseating to AMS I am putting my money on KLM

Pretty sure you do - no cockpit doors on a freighter so it's the same as being on the flight deck of a pax carrier.

Well actually CASS has absolutly nothing to do with international flights strangely enough. Atlas/Polar can take Fedex/UPS and most other FAR121/135 pilots form europe to the US but Fedex/UPS cannot take an Atlas/Polar pilot on the same route! Atlas/Polar can accomodate a groom or courier if they have the required approvals without a secure cocpit door! CASS only applies to US domestic sectors. Threre are inconsistencies however.

Thanks everybody for the advice and the link to their website; if I want to try in the future I'll give their ops a call and see what they say. Big Al is right, I work for KLM.

Latest resources

Back