• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar Air Cargo Is ON STRIKE!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys & girls, watch how you use the word "scab". We are monitoring what's going on, we are taking pictures, we are getting info from insiders at many airlines, but do not accuse until you get proof.

For those of you who aren't sure if what you are asked to do is ok, call your MEC and if you get the green light then do your job.

Craven Morhead,

I am not really sure what you are so hostile about. I would like you to point out to me where I am "throwing the scab word around"?? I said that I think the majority of the Atlas crews are 100% behind the Polar guys. The only time I mentioned scab is when someone else asked if there were any scabs at Atlas. I'm not going to lie and say there are none when there are quite a few.

Also, shouldn't you be proud of the fact that there are no scabs at Polar? I think it is a pretty good reason to want to back these guys even more.

Please re-read my posts, I am not trying to stir the pot...just trying to get the word out.

PS- I wouldn't consider you a scab for going to a PC at the Crystal Palace in MIA, but then again....I don't work there ;)

T-Gates said:
Do you honestly believe that a non-striking Atlas pilot showing at MIA for training and walking past a picket line of Polar pilots constitutes scabbing??? I don't even think the hardest of hardcore unionists would be that stupid.

I agree T-Gates. That really doesn't make any sense.

Thanks FedEx!

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- FedEx pilots, as represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l. (ALPA), have pledged their support to Polar Air Cargo crewmembers in the event of a Polar strike that could begin as early as 12:01 a.m. EDT Friday, Sept.16. The FedEx pilots’ Master Executive Council (MEC) offered their support in a unanimous vote yesterday.

“Polar crewmembers have been negotiating for more than two years and only are seeking a fair contract that recognizes their contributions and allows their company to grow,” said Captain David Webb, FedEx MEC Chairman. “They do not want to go on strike, but the FedEx pilots stand ready to assist them in any way we can should that happen.”

The National Mediation Board released Polar crewmembers and Polar management from mediated talks into a 30-day “cooling-off” period in August. If there is no negotiated agreement before the expiration of the 30-day period at 12:01 a.m. Sept. 16, the crewmembers are free to strike.

Day and night and 365 days a year, the 4,300 professional FedEx pilots--representing the air division of the FedEx brand and helping generate nearly two-thirds of FedEx Corporation’s annual revenue--fly to cities on five continents, making FedEx among the largest and most profitable airlines by any measure. Founded in 1931, ALPA represents 64,000 pilots at 41 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit the ALPA website at http://www.alpa.org.

"Our finest hour"

Not to flame or start any kind of a contest. But strikes are not sure things. I am sure the CAL pilots in 1983 and the EAL pilots in 1989 felt the same way that it was their "Our finest hour".

Last edited:
T-Gates said:
Do you honestly believe that a non-striking Atlas pilot showing at MIA for training and walking past a picket line of Polar pilots constitutes scabbing??? I don't even think the hardest of hardcore unionists would be that stupid.

I agree and this was not the best example. The point is that the Polar/Atlas situation is a unique one in that two seperate airlines operate under the same holding company. I had a crewmember say if they put "polar" stairs up to the plane we should refuse to exit , or what if the crew van says Polar.

Since Polar was purchased by Atlas, assets have been comingled. So this can be interpreted in many different ways.

Ive looked at all the schedules and the Polar designation has all but disappeared. What is gonna happen now is the ole shell game and crews are gonna actually have to go through the shipping docs to ensure the freight is not Polar.

This is gonna be a tough time for all and now is not the time to even get into mud slinging and name calling. If any Atlas crews knowingly operate a Polar call sign, the in house discipline will be severe. Until then, lets keep it cool.

Btw, i'd like a link to this "scab" list that is being mentioned that "many" Atlas pilots are part of. I know of 5 out of 800 and that doesnt constitute many.

Last edited:
The master scab list is available to anyone. I have a copy on my hard drive and it shows around 22 scabs at Atlas.

I think we should just drop the whole scab theme on this thread. It is not what the thread should be about. It is about supporting a group of pilots that are on strike because they are trying to get a fair contract. There is picketing going on today by uniformed Polar and Atlas crewmembers in ICN, HKG, ANC, ORD, NRT, JFK, IAH, LAX, MIA, PIK, AMS, VCP and Purchase. Other crew members are stranded around the world after parking their planes.

These guys need the support of the whole aviation community, and I know they will get it. Let's hope for a fast resolution, so that when the two companies merge they will both have a better leg to stand on getting a merged contract. That is really what this is all about.

All Concerened,

Please do not use the scab word just yet. According to the reports the Atlas crews are being dilligent about checking for Polar freight being loaded on their airplanes. There were 4 pallets of freight discovered and pulled sometime earlier today by an Atlas crew.

There were earlier reports of airplanes moving but most have been atributed to repositions to storage by contract crews (Boeing crews is the word) As far as can be determined from what I have heard no Polar freight is moving.

So far the support has been 100% from what I have been hearing from the picket lines. There are reports of pilots from other airlines (Freighters and Pax haulers) helping out on the phones and such on their day off.

I doubt that there is much worry about someone crossing the line and getting away with it unknown, there are cameras everywhere and it is not too difficult to keep track of an airplane as large as a 74!!

Good luck to all the pilots involved.

Latest resources

Back