• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Say Again Over

With you
'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

A major terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight has been disrupted, Scotland Yard says.
It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage, with flights from the UK to the US being targeted.

During the night, police arrested a number of people in London after a counter-terrorist operation they said had lasted several months.

Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are expected.

The Department for Transport said security at all UK airports has been increased.

Passengers on all flights will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

These guys may be up to something in the U.S. as well:

2 Held on Terror Charges in Ohio

The Associated Press
Wednesday, August 9, 2006; 10:44 PM

MARIETTA, Ohio -- Two men were charged Wednesday with money laundering in support of terrorism after authorities said they found airplane passenger lists and information on airport security checkpoints in their car.

Deputies stopped Osama Sabhi Abulhassan, 20, and Ali Houssaiky, 20, both of Dearborn, Mich., on a traffic violation Tuesday. They found the flight documents along with $11,000 cash and 12 phones in the car, said Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks.

Prosecutor Susan Vessels declined to say how the phones, cash or flight information involved terrorism.

Abulhassan and Houssaiky admitted buying about 600 phones in recent months at stores in southeast Ohio, said sheriff's Maj. John Winstanley. The men said they sold the phones to someone in Dearborn, a Detroit suburb.

Investigators going through the car after the pair were pulled over in Marietta, about 90 miles southeast of Columbus, also found a map that showed locations of Wal-Mart stores from Ohio through Kentucky, Tennessee and into North and South Carolina, Vessels said.

FBI spokesman Mike Brooks in Cincinnati said his office was notified about the arrests and an agent was investigating.

A message seeking comment was left Wednesday evening with Ray Smith, a public defender who represents Abulhassan. Houssaiky did not yet have an attorney, Vessels said.

Abulhassan and Houssaiky did not speak at a hearing Wednesday in Marietta Municipal Court in which a judge set their bond at $200,000, Vessels said. Another bond hearing was set for Thursday.

The charges allege the two laundered between $5,000 and $25,000, Vessels said. A conviction carries a maximum 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080902073.html
Not good.

No one allowed to carry anything on board...esp. liquids...I guess they were planning on using liquid explosives? - Today Show

Yea, this ain't good...

But the supposedly growing Anti-war momentum in this country will take care of all that. We will just say you guys win, and then they will leave us alone. It is all so beautiful and simple. I think a guy named Chamberlain, brought peace to England back in 1938 using the same methods.

Heard a rumor that US airspace is closed to flights from the UK, anyone hear anything about this?

pilotyip said:
But the supposedly growing Anti-war momentum in this country will take care of all that. We will just say you guys win, and then they will leave us alone. It is all so beautiful and simple. I think a guy named Chamberlain, brought peace to England back in 1938 using the same methods.

Don't bother with the facts! I recall in history, I had a prof tell me we study so as not to repeat it. Sadly, we will do just that.

pilotyip said:
From a country that can't even win the "war on drugs", we bring you the "war on terrorism". Stay tuned for previews of the 7th glorious season, where kidnappers keep their victims across the street from US Army outposts...

At least we had some communication going on this time in order to catch these folks.....without the egos. Very much unlike with the FBI and CIA....as it relates to the USS Cole and thereafter.

pilotyip said:

I don't think it's an anti-war movement per say, I think it's an anti-"this"war movement, as in the war in Iraq. No one seems to be questioning our presence in Afghanistan. My family members who are retired military are all opposed to the War in Iraq, but I wouldn't call any of them "anti-war". They just believe it isn't (or at least wasn't initially) related to the War on Terror.

I hate to say it, but until people accept the fact that profiling is necessary, these idiots will have a free hand to do their thing.

Latest resources

Back