Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly BI

Flying with Color
I just red this in a gouge from a Comair interview. "I observed of the other pilots. Once in the conference room during introductions, I noticed that 2 of the 15 candidates wore light gray suits. Is it not known by now that if you want a job then the airline industry standard is dark wool (pref blue), white shirt and red power tie?? Those two guys did not come back after the interview."

Holy garbanzo beans, this is total BS right? Why the hell would it matter what color you suit is? As long as it looks nice, there shouldn't be a problem.

It feels like that Seinfeld episode where George gets into the secret "hot chick" world with a picture of a "hot chick" who was supposedly his dead fiancee. When he loses the picture to a fire, he loses access to the "hot chick nexus".

Is the dark blue suit my "hot chick"?

It MIGHT be BS. I've heard of all sorts of werid things like you're calling into a room and if you sit in the right seat instead of the left, you're not Captain material or have Captain mentality, so they send you home.

The classic paperclip on the table .. will you fidget with it or not?

Color of your tie, etc...

I haven't heard of this taking place recently or at regional interviews. I've heard of this maybe 4-5 years ago at major airline interviews.

Why try to be the odd one out and wear an off color suit? Just stick to norm, so thats one less variable to deal with.

Fly BI said:
I just red this in a gouge from a Comair interview. "I observed of the other pilots. Once in the conference room during introductions, I noticed that 2 of the 15 candidates wore light gray suits. Is it not known by now that if you want a job then the airline industry standard is dark wool (pref blue), white shirt and red power tie?? Those two guys did not come back after the interview."

Holy garbanzo beans, this is total BS right? Why the hell would it matter what color you suit is? As long as it looks nice, there shouldn't be a problem.

It feels like that Seinfeld episode where George gets into the secret "hot chick" world with a picture of a "hot chick" who was supposedly his dead fiancee. When he loses the picture to a fire, he loses access to the "hot chick nexus".

Is the dark blue suit my "hot chick"?

Here's an idea: Wear what you are comfortable and confident in. THAT will make the difference. Not the color of your suit.

Fly BI said:

I wore a nice green suit at my interview and got hired and that's no B.S. It was a very nice suit, it just wasn't the standard color. At the end of the day, they hire you, not your suit.

It's BS. I wore a grey suit with a yellow tie and got hired. I don't think they care what color your suit is as long as you present yourself in a professional manner.

C425Driver

Last edited:
FlyChicaga said:
Here's an idea: Wear what you are comfortable and confident in. THAT will make the difference. Not the color of your suit.

I don't think that works in all cases....I doubt I would get most jobs if I showed up in what I am comfortable and confident in.....shorts, t-shirt(usually with a phrase that some schmuck will consider derogatory), and sandals(usually my trusty 8 year old Tevas).. ;)

I like how recently hired regional pilots are all suddenly experts in interviewing..... :rolleyes:

The suit color does not matter - just look nice.

That comment about the color of the suit is just about as rediculous as these commonly seen gouge comments:

"If you make it this far, the job is already yours."
"Whatever answer you give, stick with it. They want to see a firm decision."
"See you on the line!!!!!!!!"

If you ever want a airline job you HAVE TO GET A ***ARMANI*** dark blue suit and a POWER red tie. Otherwise just keep CFIing it up

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back