• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Please email this CBS News writer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree, this guy is a Jackass. But he is just like most media types and even the public.

These same people don't know how much middle managers make at successful companies. They don't know how much moderately successful small businessmen make.

Why, because they don't talk about it. We love to point out how our competitve economy makes us great. But for every winner there is a loser. Think about that when we get threads going on and on about how much we are making. No wonder the FA's are upset.

The media have no idea what a disservice they do to our industry (who knows about others?). I still have friends who say they won't fly on Airtran because they used to be Valujet and they fly old planes that catch on fire.

The ignorant lynching of Critter by the media was a great travesty that still has an effect on today's flyers.

Done......

That article prompted me to click on his email link and give him a tactful and professional insight into why I think he is WRONG.

Hopefully more will write to him to let him know that he is way off base on this one.

Adios,

BBD

Pilots vs Mechanics

I seem to remeber from safety school that pilots and mechanics cause roughly equal numbers of mishaps. Personally I think in time we will go the way of the Radio Operator, Stewardess, Flight Engineer and Navigator. That is we will be rendered obsolete.

(Speeling is not a meazure of intelligance)

On an interesting sidenote, scroll down to the bottom of the article and click the link for the 10 most underpaid workers. I would guess that flight instructors make less annually on average than most every other profession on his underpaid list.

But hey, at least airline pilots are overpaid and that's the important thing. ;)

Last edited:
He really got it on this one

Here's the irony. . . I am a pilot and a real estate agent, and I still don't make that kind of money. I guess I am lousy at 2 jobs. F*&% it. . . lets go bowling.

Kevin

Flying Freddie is right. Did you all ever hear the phrase, "RTFQ"? In this case it might should be "RTFstory", but the writer didn't state that all airline pilots are overpaid, just MAJOR airline pilots. The only real problem I see with the story is that he apparently doesn't know that SWA is a major carrier. In my opinion, he actually stood up for regional pilots when he noted that they do not make $150K and therefore are not overpaid.

He is wrong one one other point. He wrote, "consumers accept the excessive sums paid them". Consumers could care less about pilot wages. They climb onto my MD80 because Spirit charges less than the next carrier to fly them from LGA to FLL. If some other carrier could undercut us by paying even less, they would sell out in an instant.

regards'
enigma

9) Pilots for major airlines

While American and United pilots recently took pay cuts, senior captains earn as much as $250,000 a year at Delta, and their counterparts at other major airlines still earn about $150,000 to $215,000 - several times pilot pay at regional carriers - for a job that technology has made almost fully automated.

By comparison, senior pilots make up to 40 percent less at low-fare carriers like Jet Blue and Southwest, though some enjoy favorable perks like stock options. That helps explain why their employers are profitable while several of the majors are still teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

The pilot's unions are the most powerful in the industry. They demand premium pay as if still in the glory days of long-gone Pan Am and TWA, rather than the cutthroat, deregulated market of under-$200 coast-to-coast roundtrips. Because we entrust our lives to them, consumers accept the excessive sums paid them, when it's airplane mechanics who really hold our fate in their hands.

"the writer didn't state that all airline pilots are overpaid, just MAJOR airline pilots"
Enigma, you are correct; he did say that, and I did interpret his remark as being aimed at major airline pilots. I believe, however, that people like him think that anyone who flies "one of those big planes" is a major airline pilot. I'd bet good money that he has no idea of the official criteria that makes a major airline, a major airline. But, that's getting off the subject...

"He actually stood up for regional pilots"
I caught his statement regarding this. His article implies (to me) that major airline pilots should receive regional pay. He chose to emphasise that major airline pilots just sit on their asses, while computers and mechanics do all the work. He gets a C- for mentioning the low-paid pilots, but certainly not an A+.

"Consumers could care less about pilot wages."
Right-on. It's absurd that this guy would think so.

I'll show you the writer's response to my letter:

Dear Mr. Pummer,

I would greatly appreciate your response.

I am dismayed at the naive statements about airline pilots being overpaid.

You stated, "...for a job that technology has made almost fully automated."

1) Your comment implies that the next time an engine fan section blows up on takeoff, or the video system sparks and starts an uncontrollable fire, all we have to do is push the green "FIX IT" button. People who have not done our job have no idea of the technical knowledge, experience, and shear ability required to operate large jet aircraft.

2) My average pay over the last 8 years of flying professionally is $19,000 per year. I have finally made it to a major airline. My pay won't approach 6-digits for another 4 years. My final years of making 6-digit incomes will compensate for the many low-paying early years. How dare you deny me this, given my responsibilty for your life?

Your organization must refrain from commenting on technical professions where the writing staff has no practical knowledge or experience.

Sincerely,
xxxxxx

First Officer, Boeing 737
(Airline name withheld, per airline requirements)

------------------------------
Cristopher Pummer writes:
a major airline is paying you $19K a year to fly 80 hours a month? Please do tell me and I won't ever fly them again. thanks

------------------------------
No, sir. I stated "since flying professionally," not "since flying for a major airline." The phrase, "flying professionally" incorporates all such flying. There is no difference in the standard of safety or required skill among low-paying jobs vs. high-paying. A pilot for a major airline is not "more skilled" or "more responsible" than the low-paid flight instructor or regional airline pilot.

Here's a breakdown:

1989-1995: Attending the Univ. of Illinois, and paying for it myself.
1995: Searching for work: 6 months.
1995-1997: Pilot Instructor: $12,000/yr. Minimal benefits.
1997: Captain, on-demand passenger charter: $13,000/yr. No benefits.
1998-1999: First Officer, regional airline: $16,000/yr.
1999-2001: Captain, regional airline: $24,000/yr.
2001-2003: Laid-off, 20 months.
2003: First Officer, major airline: $36,000/yr.

Average pay since flying professionally: $19,000/yr. Please keep in mind that I'm gone from my family 18 days of every month.

I invite you to interview any other civilian pilot. They'll give you a similar breakdown.

I think of my training as an investment. I shelled out over $30,000 to become a pilot with the understanding that eventually in several yrs. I would get return on that investment at a major airline. I would bet that the writter of that article didn't pay as much for his training as I did or others even.

We also have a much higher level of risk in our jobs than mechanics. We are the ones forced to trust in their work to do our jobs safetly. I think that all in the aviation industry that is highly skilled in their area of maintaing safety of flight deserve to be paid well. However being that the ultimate responsibilty is placed squarely on the shoulders of the pilot. Pilots should make the most. I also think that regional pilot are way under paid. They experience the same level of responsibility that a 747 captain has. They are under paid because there are so many desperate people willing to work for nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back