Please email this CBS News writer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DH106

*** I urge everyone who reads this post to email a professionally-written, courteous email to the writer of the following CBS News article.
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B954AA053-F953-43F3-BBC8-63D351A3BF2A%7D&siteid=google&dist=google

The author claims that airline pilots are overpaid.

"...senior captains earn as much as $250,000... for a job that technology has made almost fully automated."

"...consumers accept the excessive sums paid them, when it's airplane mechanics who really hold our fate in their hands."

Please read the article. The author's email link is at the top of the article.

I wrote this guy Plummer an Email.

I told him he was a typical main stream media hack that wouldn't know how to do any real investagative journalism if it jumped up his crackhole.

He's a joke to his profession. Told him that too!

Next!

We should round up enough cash to put him in the sim for a couple of hours and give him a pro-check.

Here is the full article. When in full context it takes some of the sting out.

While American and United pilots recently took pay cuts, senior captains earn as much as $250,000 a year at Delta, and their counterparts at other major airlines still earn about $150,000 to $215,000 - several times pilot pay at regional carriers - for a job that technology has made almost fully automated.

By comparison, senior pilots make up to 40 percent less at low-fare carriers like Jet Blue and Southwest, though some enjoy favorable perks like stock options. That helps explain why their employers are profitable while several of the majors are still teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

The pilot's unions are the most powerful in the industry. They demand premium pay as if still in the glory days of long-gone Pan Am and TWA, rather than the cutthroat, deregulated market of under-$200 coast-to-coast roundtrips. Because we entrust our lives to them, consumers accept the excessive sums paid them, when it's airplane mechanics who really hold our fate in their hands.

Last edited:
Hostage,
I don't know whether it was in the sixth grade or at Wharton, but I remember something about supply and demand.

Flying Freddie, my apologies, but I can't see how any sting is removed from his full text. Please explain what you mean... The full article has no merit.

Supply and Demand

Flying Freddie:

I too fail to see how the whole article takes the sting away.

I do, however, believe in supply and demand. Too bad we can't all sit around and write articles about how this hack gets paid too much for doing his job, which after all technology (computer) has made almost fully automated.

It has to work both ways. If you believe in supply and demand, then let the system work, don't sit around and complain about what others are making.

FJ

Hi,
When I first saw the post I too was upset. After reading the article, it pretty much has my pay as correct. I wish I was making 250K a year but alas, it is not to be as of now. The mechanic bit sort of upset me. I am dismayed to find that I am not considered the most important cog in the aviation wheel. The public will always think we make too much. That is because we make more than most of them. Mechanics all think they should make more than us also. Hope that helps clarify my position. Have a nice day:)

I probably wasted an e-mail giving Chris a wake-up call.
By looking at his picture alone...this guy won't get it.

Latest resources

Back