• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane down near PNS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I didn't even see the road until I was about 2,000', but only because there were some motorcycles driving on it. I was planning on landing on the beach.

Before we went I was eating dinner with my friend and his parents and I was telling his dad that the only way I like to fly single-engine at night is flyin the coastline (e.g. Pensacola :) ) in case something happens there is always the shoreline.

Anyway, I gotta hit the bed, have to get up in 4 hours to go to work.

Thanks for the replies guys!

-Nick

I'm getting my commercial real soon - and I'm almost done with my instrument, anybody want to hire me? just kidding.... :eek:

It sounds as though you threw a rod. Not uncommon, and not unique to the Katana. This is a good example of why we always say that it's not a matter of if you will have an engine failure, but when.

Just be grateful for the experience.

Nice job handling a difficult situtation. Now, you have a real-life situation from which to speak at "the interview."

Bet the bikers were freaked when they saw your airplane happening upon them!

The bikers in front of me didn't even know I don't think beacuse they didn't stop. Some other people stopped after we landed, they were on a bike also.

Glad to hear that you made it down safely. Good job handling the situation.
I once lost an intake valve on a Navajo when I was a freight dog. I had sprayed oil all over the left cowling and had shut the engine down before it did itself. Once safely on the ground I first inspected the oil cap just to make sure it was on tight, and it was, thank God! The local mechanic pull the cowling off and we found a hole that the valve had been driven through causing a loss of oil.
Anyway, it sounds your situation might be a rod or valve problem.

NoPlaneNoGain:

Yea, that sounds about the same that had happened to me. Once the plane cooled down a little I checked to see if the oil cap was on tightly, thank God! Although, most likely, the oil would have spilled out right at takeoff when I/you put the coals to it, and you would have noticed something was wrong during takeoff or just after takeoff. That's what I think anyway, I could be wrong... I'm just a 220 hour 20 year old pilot.

:D

Later

Latest resources

Back