Places to live near BWI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gotta

Me and my family are relocating near BWI and looking for places to live up to an 1-1.5 hour(s) away. Does anybody have any recommendations. Looking to spend up to 300K on a house.

Thank You for your help!

If looking for a single family house, relatively new, nice area, etc. less than $300K - might be REALLY tough, especially if looking to the south. Calvert County (South of Annapolis/Anne Arundle County) is "out in the sticks" comparitively speaking (it is 1-1.5 hours south of BWI, depending upon how far south in the county you go) Prices for a 4 BR/2.5 bath are in the $450K+ range on the northern end-middle of the county. The problem you face is that the Washington D.C. metro area is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. Everything to the south, southwest of BWI is in the D.C. commute zone. Property there (that isn't within a mile or so of murder-central) is extremely expensive as the Federal Gov't continues to grow after 9-11. Beware of Prince Georges County - bad schools, lots of crime, corrupt conuty gov't... Maybe look north of BWI?

gotta said:
Me and my family are relocating near BWI and looking for places to live up to an 1-1.5 hour(s) away. Does anybody have any recommendations. Looking to spend up to 300K on a house.

Thank You for your help!

For that price range, you may need to go across the PA state line and look in the York area. I have a good friend who is a SWA FO who lives up there. He moved out of MD to escape the higher taxes.

Good luck!

BTW, I'm down in Calvert County, as well. Love it, but I moved here 2 1/2 years ago. Still paid more than I wanted for the house.:eek:

try hyattsville or langley park, both in southern maryland

great places, close to major arteries and shopping

district heights is not bad, great real estate

gotta said:

Thank You for your help!

You might be able to find a small but nice townhouse. Annapolis is the best location.

Great Website

Gotta,
There's a great website called www.homesdatabase.com. It covers the whole DC/MD/VA area. I used it when I bought down here in Calvert County 2 years ago. You can get a pretty good idea of what you can get for your money - pictures, layouts, prices.
Kabul

300K isn't gonna get you much of a house anywhere around D.C. I grew up in Manassas, VA which is about 25 miles west of DC. And is about 1.5 hour drive to BWI. My parents townhouse is 3 BR 1.5 Bath and isn't really in the best neighborhood and a realitor told them that they could easily get 260 to 290 for it (they paid 63.5 in 1986). There have been some townhouses in my neighborhood going for just uner 300 in the past few months. As it was said earlier stay away....far far away from Prince Georges County Md. On the news there are always at least 2 or 3 fatal shootings/stabbings in DC and another 2 or 3 fatal shootings/stabbings in PG county...EVERY night. Don't know much about whats north of BWI, but I'd say thats the place to be. 300k would probably get a nice house with some land 1.5 hours north of BWI, plus you wouldn't be in the DC rush hour traffic mess.

Def steer clear of the DC metro area! The public trans to BWI is good, but the prices are out of control. I rent in downtown DC right now and it's insane, as are the taxes.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I be living in a trailer park 3 hours away until I can afford a home closer to the airport.

I guess I will search north BWI and look into York. Any subdivision in York or nearby in that direction that you might recommend? What does York have to offer, it look like it might be a quiet peaceful town where you can get some land and a descent house for your money compared to nearby BWI.

Again, Thanks for all the honest feedback and recommendations!!!!

Gotta

Latest resources

Back