Pitch and Power on the ILS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
midlifeflyer said:
Don't worry. There's one for the other side also. Pull the power to idle while in the air pull the yoke all the way back and and show me how you pitch up to gain alitiude.
I have no problem pulling back on the yoke with the thrust levers at idle and gaining altitude. When I did stalls, the thrust levers went to idle and when you get Flaps 9, you had to give foward pressure to keep from climbing. Must have been a thrust thing huh?

Pretty lame attempt at the proverbial "flip side of the coin."

TiredOfTeaching said:
Pretty lame attempt at the proverbial "flip side of the coin."
yes, precisely the same lameness quotient as pretending that an airplane on the ground is a relvant comparision to one in flight.

I'm not the one who made the quote but at least his was amusing. Yours was not. And if you're going to start using big words to try and impress us, capitalize, Tool.

TiredOfTeaching said:
Yours was not.

mine? you obviously aren't too terribly observant. not real surprised. just speculating, but i think perhaps the reason you think one is breathtakingly original and an downright knee-slapper and the other is soooo *lame* as to require comment is that one agrees with your somehat narrow and dogmatic view of things and the other doesn't. the fact that *neither* actually sheds any relevant light on the discussion is completely lost on you. incidentally, both pointless arguments have been around about as long as the pitch/power debate, which is to say about as long as airplanes have been around.

Gettin' hot in here...

A Squared said:
mine? you obviously aren't too terribly observant. not real surprised. just speculating, but i think perhaps the reason you think one is breathtakingly original and an downright knee-slapper and the other is soooo *lame* as to require comment is that one agrees with your somehat narrow and dogmatic view of things and the other doesn't. the fact that *neither* actually sheds any relevant light on the discussion is completely lost on you. incidentally, both pointless arguments have been around about as long as the pitch/power debate, which is to say about as long as airplanes have been around.

I think you lost him at speculating...

Foxcow said:
What page is that on?

FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
[FAA-H-8083-15]

P. 7-33

"The heaviest demand on pilot technique occurs during descent from the OM to the MM, when you maintain the localizer course, adjust pitch attitude to maintain the proper rate of descent, and adjust power to maintain proper airspeed."

i.e., Pitch for your glideslope or descent rate, depending on the glideslope angle, say 3 degrees, and maintain the proper speed, say 90 knots by adjusting your power.

NYCPilot said:
FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
[FAA-H-8083-15]

P. 7-33

"The heaviest demand on pilot technique occurs during descent from the OM to the MM, when you maintain the localizer course, adjust pitch attitude to maintain the proper rate of descent, and adjust power to maintain proper airspeed."

i.e., Pitch for your glideslope or descent rate, depending on the glideslope angle, say 3 degrees, and maintain the proper speed, say 90 knots by adjusting your power.
FWIW, you'll also find almost the exact same quote in the most recent edition of the U.S. Air Force's instrument flying manual.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back