• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pitch and Power on the ILS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
good advice. i'll try to practice it when i go out. thanks!

Caveman said:
a stabilized approach policy appropriate for the a/c is a good idea.

Yep...I was taught (and I like) crossing the marker flaps 10, reduce power and ride the slide.

Then, if needed, when you break out at 200' you can put in more flaps...but usually you can land a 172 with 10 and no problems.

The whole point is a stabilized approach.

-mini

cforst513 said:
i shoot ILS approaches at 100kts in a 172. when i intercept the glideslope, i throttle back to around 1800-2000 rpm, which will keep my speed at or around 100kts and follow the glideslope down. once i am 400-500ft above DH, i start to slow myself up by putting in 10 degrees of flaps and pitching back a bit, while reducing power to keep on the glideslope. then, as i see fit, i try to slow down more with flaps and pitch until i either land or go missed.
100 Kts in a 172??!!!:puke: Man, you are loading yourself with way to much to do, at a critical time to do it. Don't try this in a complex airplane, at all. 100 knots is what, 20% less than cruise speed?? and 120% more than stall speed!! You got to be nuts to fly approaches at those speeds in a 172.

sky37d said:
100 Kts in a 172??!!!:puke: Man, you are loading yourself with way to much to do, at a critical time to do it. Don't try this in a complex airplane, at all. 100 knots is what, 20% less than cruise speed?? and 120% more than stall speed!! You got to be nuts to fly approaches at those speeds in a 172.

I don't agree with you, 100 kts in a 172 is just fine.

Pedro said:
Pitch should always be used to control path and power for airspeed. But if you change one you will need to change the other.

There are only two situations when you should use pitch for airspeed:

1. When the power is fixed (Full power, no power...).
2. When you are on the back side of the power curve (Slow flight, carrier landing..).

Isn't final approach flown on the back side of the power curve? Don't we pitch for AS and power for ALT in the little stuff?

9GClub said:
Isn't final approach flown on the back side of the power curve? Don't we pitch for AS and power for ALT in the little stuff?

:angryfire Sounds like flamebait to me!

sky37d said:

Thats what I was taught to do in a Warrior and its what I teach. Sometimes I fly them at 110 (PA28-180/C.182). There is so much stuff to be done in a 172...

9GClub said:

Yeah, on the flare!!

Pedro said:
Pitch should always be used to control path and power for airspeed. But if you change one you will need to change the other.

There are only two situations when you should use pitch for airspeed:

1. When the power is fixed (Full power, no power...).
2. When you are on the back side of the power curve (Slow flight, carrier landing..).

I agree 100% Pitch for airsped if you are at full power or no power and when you are behind the power curve... IE... when you are entering the realm of slow flight... On an ILS in a light GA aircraft this would be when you start throwing flaps in around 200 AGL. If you have power available, such as on an ILS, then pitch and trim for the VSI that will hold your glide slope and use power to hold the approach speed you want. That's how I was taught and what I do and it works for me... but I know it's not the only way. Whatever consistently works.

TiredOfTeaching said:
BTW, I love the, "Pitch for airspeed down the runway." Classic. Wish I had heard it sooner.
Don't worry. There's one for the other side also. Pull the power to idle while in the air pull the yoke all the way back and and show me how you pitch up to gain alitiude.

Latest resources

Back