furlough-boy said:
What about the checkride history of these guys too:

Captain:

CFI Checkride - Failed twice
CFII Checkride - Failed
J41 Oral - Failed
J41 F/O sim - Failed
ATP/BE-1900 Type - Failed

Fired from TSA for abuse of sick time, unable to contact on reserve, etc...

F/O:

Commerical Multi - Failed.

Wow.

It's true most have at least failed one checkride but how do you fail the CFII? That was like the easiest checkride ever. You are already a CFI and should know how to fly the instruments.

I flew with a guy a few months ago who used to fly the A-10. In case you didn't know, the A-10 has the same engine as the CRJ (Well, TF-34 vs CF-34; close enough for govt work.) Anyway, we were talking about this accident and he told me about an A-10 duel engine flame-out many years ago where the pilot stalled it up high, the engines flamed out due to disrupted air flow and there never was a restart. Apparently, the pilot ejected and was fine but the investigation revealed that these engines had locked up due to high temps resulting from low air flow through them. Has anybody heard about this? I used to fly these engines in the S-3 and had never heard about it. I found it interesting to say the least.

I totally agree that these guys seem to have screwed but if I was flying a plane where the engines probably would not relight if I stalled it, I would like to know that.

why is it that regional pilots will be looked at differently?

did they look at "professional" american pilots differently when they took out runway lights in denver this winter? landed in a T/S and overran a runway in little rock? crashed into a mountain in Cali? tore a rudder off an airbus doing exactly what they were trained to do? oh those "professional" delta pilots who forget to set the flaps for takeoff, "professional" eastern pilots who disengage an autopilot and crash in the everglades, etc etc.

cut the "professional" crap here. it was an accident (like all of the above were). we all look like sh!t at our worst moments.

one maxim definitely held true here. there were an unfortunate "chain of events" leading up to this.

Last edited:
100LL... Again! said:
True, but for how much the typical pilot likes to spout off about professionalism and "deserving" certain levels of compensation, I think that a little more self-study and proactive behavior might raise the image of pilots as a whole.

This transcript and the articles I am seeing in the paper are going to give the worst possible impression about pilots as a whole. For those who think that educating the general public on how poorly regional pilots are paid - I might wait until this incident is a dim memory.

Perhaps it would do well to look for these types of personality characteristics in pilot candidates, instead of raw hour requirements or time in type. Plenty of accidents from high time-in-type pilots, you know.

Maybe the interview process needs to be a bit more stringent.

Certinly the company bears a lot of responsibility to train pilots, but the longer I am in this business, the more I am beginning to think that there are not very many of these determined self-educating, self-improving individuals.
This is one of the most disappointing things I have found in this business. I really had expected so much more in terms of professionalism.

But as many of us have seen, there are a lot of people who are perfectly happy with 80%.

And when other guys in class start asking about getting the gouge on the oral, I want to scream. I have never asked for a gouge once in my entire career. Those who 'train for the test' have no business in airplanes, in my very un-humble opinion.

Just because you were not told something does not mean it is not important.
A true professional will continue to seek out as much information as possible to ensure that they are fully competent to do the job.

I do not think that a lot of low-time RJ drivers fit this description.

Normally I don't agree with you 100LL_again, but this time I agree with you 110%! Very, very, well said. I wish more pilots held this opinion and were motivated for self-study.

scabseeker said:
It's true most have at least failed one checkride but how do you fail the CFII? That was like the easiest checkride ever. You are already a CFI and should know how to fly the instruments.

I failed the CFII, the DE asked me what heading I needed to intercept a radial outbound from a VOR about 15 NE of my position. I gave him what I thought was a good one. He said it was too much and I should have selected a better heading. He failed me right there. He was an airline captain and had a rather negative attitude, actually he seemed rather mean in general.

I thought the ATP was one of the easier check-rides. I will have to agree most people I have spoken with have failed one, and for a variety of reasons.

While I disagreed with the failure, it was humbling and probably good for my young oversized ego.

AA

Last edited:
The new hires got a call yesterday informing them of a change in the simulator program.

Pinnacle has decided to add an extra simulator lesson to the initial training program.

I have a good idea what it will cover!

furlough-boy said:
What about the checkride history of these guys too:

Captain:

CFI Checkride - Failed twice
CFII Checkride - Failed
J41 Oral - Failed
J41 F/O sim - Failed
ATP/BE-1900 Type - Failed

Fired from TSA for abuse of sick time, unable to contact on reserve, etc...

F/O:

Commerical Multi - Failed.

Wow.

F/O failed his commercial multi because he left the baggage door open......it wasnt because of his flying ability!

Dodge said:
Well, that is on most checklists........Doors.....closed.

actually i'm sorry...now that i think about it....he left the key in the door but had the door closed.....gosh the things you do when ur nervous!

Dodge said:
Well, that is on most checklists........Doors.....closed.
You're trying to use logic on a broad...stop it, you'll just give yourself a headache.

Latest resources

Back