Pinnacle Pilots: "Just wanted to have fun"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ignorantlatinachick,

Well, I HAVE read every word of the transcript and each and every Group Chairman's Factual. But since you have "much more to the story" than what I have been reading, you should contact the NTSB at 490 L'Enfant Plaza in Washington, DC. I'm sure they would be interested in all "ur" facts. :rolleyes:

BID said:
Yes, I do, so don't be scared.

How do you know they did not check their charts? Was the temperature at +10 deviation on the day of this accident? Is this in the NTSB report? I will do more reading to find this information. If you could provide a link that would be helpful. Anyway, if this is the case and they had a total disregard for the performance numbers, then I agree with you, big mistake on their part and a true dissapointment.

I would have to look for the info in the docket, but I got the info from our safety committee as part of the information that they were allowed to tell us. I believe the temp at FL410 was ISA+9.5. I can't remember the weight, but when I looked it up at the time I think the max altitude I got on the chart was something like FL395. I'll see if I can find the info in the docket.

I have read pages and pages on this accident and no one has succinctly described what happened, or what we best know to have happened. Personally I care little for the disputes or emotions. RIP to the deceased, lets find out what happened and carry on greater for the knowledge of how to prevent it ourselves.

Is this at all close?

They climbed to a higher altitude (some may say extreme, but not an unacceptable altitude).
The high angle of attack, or perhaps excess bank angle if not on autopilot caused one, then the other engine to flame out from lack of airflow.
They descended.
They did not follow the procedures to relight properly (this is a complete assumption on my part, feel free to correct if you have better information).
Part of the procedures to relight include a significant nose down attitude, (probably below a certain altitude) to gain enough speed for an air restart - and it appears they did not accomplish this.

She cant have much more time then Mr. Cezsar had. His total time at accident was like 774 or something. She was his girlfriend, so to that point I am very sorry for your loss.

But please don't try to blame anyone for this accident except for the pilots. We all like to have fun during the long flights that we fly...2 hours is the longest one in my jet, but to throw the SOP's out the window and stuff like this will happen.

I do not have the facts to judge these guys, and it sounds like they made some serious mistakes, but deciding to fly to FL 410 under the right conditions is not an experiment.

Two things must exist to make an attempt at an altitude that is normally out of reach.

1.) the right aircraft parameters and weather conditions (which I believe they had)
2.) adherence to chart profiles

I have no doubt in my mind that this would have been an uneventful flight had the crew adhered to the minimum speeds set in the operating manual. It doesn't take an engineer to understand what the "power curve" is and what happens when you get behind it. These two guys got so slow and were so far behind the power curve they could have never accelerated to a sustainable airspeed.

popeye0537....ur right i dont have much time.....just as much as him...."cesarz" by the way.....and thanks for the comment about my loss!!!

all i was trying to say earlier is that we need to wait to see what the ntsb is going to say....i never said it wasnt his fault.....but you guys criticize and it sucks!!!

acaterry...."This post is so full of poor grammar and poor spelling that it fails to meet any validity."
Finish high school, honey......well honey i did....i didnt think i was being graded on this thread.......mrs. school teacher!!!!

latinachick said:
ridethewind.....i guess u havent been keeping urself updated with the ntsb transcripts...."The transcript recounts their increasingly desperate efforts to restart the engines and regain altitude" do ur homework before you start talking crap about the pilots!!!

Doesn't sound to me like they tried correctly to start and engine, if the procedure calls for 300 knots than GET 300 KNOTS, don't lollygag around at 190 and wonder why the engine won't turn.

After working with 9E for over 3 years...I can honestly say that lack of experience pervaded their whole organization. NUMEROUS examples if you please...

The entire redtail community said...over and over again...it's only a matter of time...until.

Sorry if I'm stepping on toes...but if the shoe fits.

GravityHater said:
They climbed to a higher altitude (some may say extreme, but not an unacceptable altitude).

Not an unacceptable altitude! I believe 180 kias in the climb should have been plenty to let them know that they were at an unacceptable altitude. Just because the manual says the aircraft is certified that high doesn't mean you can leave your brain on the ground. This is basic airmanship. They screwed the pooch and paid the ultimate price! It sounds like at least we will all learn a lot from this.

latinachick said:
all i was trying to say earlier is that we need to wait to see what the ntsb is going to say....i never said it wasnt his fault.....but you guys criticize and it sucks!!!

It's pretty clear what the NTSB is going to say. The same thing a lot of reports say. Pilot error. Nothing personal but the incompetence and lack of the basic understanding of high altitude performance in this case is clear.

Latest resources

Back