Pinnacle or stay 135?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

I have been following what I can about Pinnacle lately and they seem to be hiring like mad. Some where around 500-700 pilots this year. Is that because they need them now or just preparing for NWA to give them more flying? I read in the Star Tribune this morning that Pinnacle's growth could be reduced since NWA pilots secured the 77 seats and up airplanes.

Just wondering what the airline analyst bunch on this board thinks about the whole deal.

I am just getting ready to move up to flying twins on my own at my current 135 job, but I don't want to be there forever, so I didn't know if this is still a good time to jump on with Pinnacle or is there hiring ship about to sink fast?

F16fixer said:
I am just getting ready to move up to flying twins on my own at my current 135 job, but I don't want to be there forever, so I didn't know if this is still a good time to jump on with Pinnacle or is there hiring ship about to sink fast?

I'd consider another regional airline other than Pinnacle. Call it spidy sense.

If you've got the chance to move into some turbine equipment at your 135 company then I'd stay there. If it's all piston, then I'd start putting my resume out to the regionals. If you can get on at Air Whisky, ASA, or some other decent regional then I would recommend going there instead of Pinnacle. If Pinnacle is the only option though, then don't turn it down. Upgrade is probably going to be 5 years, but that's the same at most places now.

PCL_128 said:
If you've got the chance to move into some turbine equipment at your 135 company then I'd stay there. If it's all piston, then I'd start putting my resume out to the regionals. If you can get on at Air Whisky, ASA, or some other decent regional then I would recommend going there instead of Pinnacle. If Pinnacle is the only option though, then don't turn it down. Upgrade is probably going to be 5 years, but that's the same at most places now.

Thanks, yeah it's just going to be a chieftain, aerostar and a 414. I live in Southern MN and the wifes job, which is more important than mine, doesn't really allow me to move at this time or for a long while. So I figured I hear that most regionals are crappy and I already will have a 1 hour 15 minute commute to the twin cities why not just try and work there.
Just thought I should get busy and not wait until next year to be at the bottom of a big pile of FO's if all the hiring goes through.

Fixer

Oh, in that case then Pinnacle might be your best option. Nothing beats living close to your domicile. I would definitely try for Pinnacle if you only live 1:15 away from MSP.

F16Fixr.....Id go for Pinnacle....I waited and waited and logged more time looking for a better path than the regionals. It's now three years and 2000 pic turbineK later and the best i can hope for is a regional airline job. People that i was flight instructing with 5 years ago are now captains on some regionals...one is even a FO for UPS and I am now trying to get on with regional...lost at least three years of seniority....don't think you should do that if you can help it.

Rook said:

Okay, I know that was English. What part of it didn't you understand? I told the guy the think about a regional OTHER THAN Pinnacle. Are we crystal? Or is that too metaphoric for you still?

If you go there...you will then have expierence and probly go to almost any regional of choice....if you use it as a stepping stone to deciede where you really want to be....but then have to start at the bottom wherever you go....catch 22

Go for pinnacle since you only live an hour away from home. It's worth it even for a sub-par regional. What's the likelyhood you'll get MSP as your base?

Latest resources

Back