• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan SLI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are there 108 guys that are going to flow or are just the first 108 on the xj seniority list that are offered the flow?

DAL wanted it to be a set group of individuals. The negotiated terms allowed for 1 years worth of flows, which was 108. The first 124 on our list had already had the chance to flow. So the next 108 were allowed to flow. This allowed up to number 233 on the seniority list. Only these individuals could go, no replacements. In other words, if 232 decides not to flow, 234 is not allowed to take his place.

Sucks to be 250ish.

If you haven't already, go to the road show. The TA doesn't seem like a concessionary agreement after hearing all the details. In my opinion, this merger still gives you more/better options than you had before.

Road shows are like time share presentations...you go in knowing you don't want to buy one...but after hearing the relentless pressure of how much you need it you walk out buying it hook line and sinker

This weeks Mesaba union Rep had a disturbing sales pitch during Reccurrent GS. Told the younger guys this contract was a good deal because without the union was worried about furloughs down to 600. And that somehow that justifies why mesaba guys get didn't get that many improvements in the contract. THATS NOT THE PURPOSE OF A CONTRACT!!! It's the companys job to get flying to keep our pilots employed...not the unions.

Road shows are like time share presentations...you go in knowing you don't want to buy one...but after hearing the relentless pressure of how much you need it you walk out buying it hook line and sinker

This weeks Mesaba union Rep had a disturbing sales pitch during Reccurrent GS. Told the younger guys this contract was a good deal because without the union was worried about furloughs down to 600. And that somehow that justifies why mesaba guys get didn't get that many improvements in the contract. THATS NOT THE PURPOSE OF A CONTRACT!!! It's the companys job to get flying to keep our pilots employed...not the unions.

Says the guy that isn't on the chopping block. I bet you think the 401k plan is great! too.

We lost the flow-up because of the buy out. The spots were unlimited. The 108 was a negotiated number after the purchase.

The 1.5% raises were contractual. There was still a 3% longevity raise built in. He would be recording 4.5% increases every year.
His initial complaint was "how is the merger good for me?", not "how is the sale of XJ good for me?" You missed the point of what we were discussing. I agree that the sale of XJ is what terminated the flow, however, selling XJ and merging XJ are two completely different things. Delta was going to sell XJ regardless (and not necessarily to PNCL corp) , therefore, the flow was going away. It was PNCL corp management's decision to merge all 3 airlines. They could have left us as 3 stand alone carriers. The merge had nothing to do with losing the flow, the sale had everything to do with it. I still think he's going to be better off post merger, than pre merger. Only time will tell.

Regarding the TA payrates, there is still about a 3% longevity raise/year built into the TA charts too, just like the bankruptcy agreement. Then you add your cost of living increases/year. So if you want to look at it that way, Years 1 and 2 he'd get 6% raises, then 5% for the next 3 years instead of the 4.5%/year you talked about. Seems like he's still coming out ahead under the new TA.

Either way it doesn't matter. The merger is happening weather we like it or not. There's no sense complaining about it since it does no good. Life isn't always full of choices that benefit us. The sooner some of us on this message board realize this, and stop having the "it's all about me attitude", the better off all of us are. Enjoy life, it's short.

His initial complaint was "how is the merger good for me?", not "how is the sale of XJ good for me?" You missed the point of what we were discussing. I agree that the sale of XJ is what terminated the flow, however, selling XJ and merging XJ are two completely different things. Delta was going to sell XJ regardless (and not necessarily to PNCL corp) , therefore, the flow was going away. It was PNCL corp management's decision to merge all 3 airlines. They could have left us as 3 stand alone carriers. The merge had nothing to do with losing the flow, the sale had everything to do with it. I still think he's going to be better off post merger, than pre merger. Only time will tell.

Regarding the TA payrates, there is still about a 3% longevity raise/year built into the TA charts too, just like the bankruptcy agreement. Then you add your cost of living increases/year. So if you want to look at it that way, Years 1 and 2 he'd get 6% raises, then 5% for the next 3 years instead of the 4.5%/year you talked about. Seems like he's still coming out ahead under the new TA.

Either way it doesn't matter. The merger is happening weather we like it or not. There's no sense complaining about it since it does no good. Life isn't always full of choices that benefit us. The sooner some of us on this message board realize this, and stop having the "it's all about me attitude", the better off all of us are. Enjoy life, it's short.

Very well said, and I believe a more fair and accurate assessment of the situation.

It was PNCL corp management's decision to merge all 3 airlines. They could have left us as 3 stand alone carriers.
Instead they leave us as 2 stand alone carriers. It was XJs fragmentation policy that forced the JCBA and SLI, without it, this "asset transfer" would be the ugliest thing ever seen in aviation, with 1/3 of the workforce walking immediately, a defined "struck work" the other 2/3 should not be doing, and idle aircraft stuck between 3 airlines and 2 carriers. It would have also bankrupt PNCL holdings. In fact it still could happen if the JCBA is voted down. Which is why Ridgebacks ALPA rep stated what he did in the RGS.

The path we are on, is the best outcome for ALL three of our carriers. The TA, although not perfect by any means is our best chance at survival in this merger/aqusition/asset transfer. If it is voted down, there is NO obligation to merge the contracts or lists. 9L will take on XJs contract and would be merged by an SLI negotiated between the two. The jets would be transferred to 9E with no obligation to any transferring pilots other than "offer employment." Since no XJ guys in their right mind would go, esp. under the current 9E contract, (and they cannot be forced to go) 9E would crumble under training costs, increase accidents (associated to ALL rapid expansions), and increased unemployment costs (at XJ). 9E would continue to work under contract '99, until forced to take concessions under BK.

We are all in this together, none better than the other. Our symbiotic relationship depends on working through the JCBA and SLI methodically, and as fairly as possible. We have a descent TA, not great, not industry leading, but definately a good starting point to combine this company into a great regional airline (if there is such a thing). The negotiation timeline was fast, but needed to be. After talking to my negotiator friends, we achieved EVERYTHING we were going to get out of mgmt. In the end they were arguing over reseting longevity dates for pay for the 9E guys to Day 1 of training. (An item that was only listed for 1 million or so) Yet there was absolutely no way mgmt. would even move that small amount (relative) to finish the TA. (ie. You know you got the best deal on a car if you are haggling over the last $100 dollars)

I, for one, do not want to be the biggest, or best paid in the industry. Because when you are, there is only ONE way to go (ala Comair '00). I want to be in the upper third. Stable....Competative....Happy.

If you think voting no will lead to a better contract, then vote no. But understand the risks. Vote your conscience, vote you heart, but vote informed also. The airplanes will transfer no matter what in May. There is a risk to us all in that.

Instead they leave us as 2 stand alone carriers. It was XJs fragmentation policy that forced the JCBA and SLI, without it, this "asset transfer" would be the ugliest thing ever seen in aviation, with 1/3 of the workforce walking immediately, a defined "struck work" the other 2/3 should not be doing, and idle aircraft stuck between 3 airlines and 2 carriers. It would have also bankrupt PNCL holdings. In fact it still could happen if the JCBA is voted down. Which is why Ridgebacks ALPA rep stated what he did in the RGS.

The path we are on, is the best outcome for ALL three of our carriers. The TA, although not perfect by any means is our best chance at survival in this merger/aqusition/asset transfer. If it is voted down, there is NO obligation to merge the contracts or lists. 9L will take on XJs contract and would be merged by an SLI negotiated between the two. The jets would be transferred to 9E with no obligation to any transferring pilots other than "offer employment." Since no XJ guys in their right mind would go, esp. under the current 9E contract, (and they cannot be forced to go) 9E would crumble under training costs, increase accidents (associated to ALL rapid expansions), and increased unemployment costs (at XJ). 9E would continue to work under contract '99, until forced to take concessions under BK.

We are all in this together, none better than the other. Our symbiotic relationship depends on working through the JCBA and SLI methodically, and as fairly as possible. We have a descent TA, not great, not industry leading, but definately a good starting point to combine this company into a great regional airline (if there is such a thing). The negotiation timeline was fast, but needed to be. After talking to my negotiator friends, we achieved EVERYTHING we were going to get out of mgmt. In the end they were arguing over reseting longevity dates for pay for the 9E guys to Day 1 of training. (An item that was only listed for 1 million or so) Yet there was absolutely no way mgmt. would even move that small amount (relative) to finish the TA. (ie. You know you got the best deal on a car if you are haggling over the last $100 dollars)

I, for one, do not want to be the biggest, or best paid in the industry. Because when you are, there is only ONE way to go (ala Comair '00). I want to be in the upper third. Stable....Competative....Happy.

If you think voting no will lead to a better contract, then vote no. But understand the risks. Vote your conscience, vote you heart, but vote informed also. The airplanes will transfer no matter what in May. There is a risk to us all in that.

Keep in mind all PCL pilots are giving up their ability to decline involuntary assignements. This JCBA pays a lot for them but most PCL pilots are more about days off - which we are giving up some of those too. And a good number of pilots are going to see their take home pay after medical premiums/deductibles decrease. Lets see, less money, fewer days off and they can't tell them 'no thanks, I'm going home' anymore.

The JNC is claiming junior assignments will be very expensive. They will be. The problem is the pay over guarentee provisions for reserves, among other provisions, makes it even more expensive to overstaff or correctly staff the airline. Say good bye to your days off. The only good thing that I see in this Agreement is it makes junior manning truly junior, instead of the senior manning PCL has currently.

The price some PCL pilots are being asked to pay for the job security of this merger is leaving a very bitter taste in their mouths. So much for the 'No pilot left behind' battle cry.

Just to clarify, I think this merger could be a good thing, and I'm voting yes to the TA. I thought I had made this fairly clear in my previous posts. I was purely responding and disagreeing to WMUSIGPI's negativity on the whole situation, and commenting/correcting a few things that you had said earlier. From your last post it appears you are blasting me, but essentially saying the same thing that I was saying the whole time. Maybe I'm misreading your post. If so, I apologize. Either way, I agree with your last post. Sorry for the confusion...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back