• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan Reallignment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of us have a lack of career progression due to 9-11, SARS, Foot and Mouth, BKs at the the majors, Mergers at the majors, the economic downturn, and the rising cost of fuel. You career progression is no more important than any of the rest of ours. 4 years (as the OP posted) is nothing in this industry right now. If Jet Blue or Virgin is a career position for you, apply now. There is no PIC requirement. Otherwise... Get in Line.

hate to call you out again Murf, but Virgin has just as high mins as Southwest-and most of the Fo's hired at JetBlue have PIC time, just not thousands- But leaving is what many of the 01-03 mesaba captains will be doing since we got screwed the most. BTW we are at our fence numbers so now all those Q captains can take the jet positions-and jr 2 year colgan FO's can take the Q slots

thanks to our union-who allowed Bloch to make such a decision. They should have seen that he makes the same decisions based on his previous judgements and petitioned for a different guy-I mean come on! convienient that the Senior Mesaba guys made out so well. Seems like the 04 contract-the bankruptcy one too. and on and on and on

I spent my time in line and I earned the seat that came with it. It should not be taken away by someone at Mesaba with a later DOH.

Ha ha what pilot at mesaba is ahead of you, with a later DOH????? Seriously are you on crack??? God this bitching on here is so ********************ing childish. If you all spent the amount of time here doing something actually constructive you'd all be rich!!!!!! Go to work, do your job, go home!!! It ain't that hard!

get your head of of your Saab! lol he is an elite future Pinnacle Jet Captain and there is no way a Jet captain makes as much as an FO even at 7-8 year pay. In all serious-your theory worked for JEt FO compared to Saab Captain-but not Jet Captain-
Probably Apples and Oranges anyway, but I was trying to compare old 9E CA pay to current FO pay since his comment was based on that. I think the FO in that situation would make more.

hate to call you out again Murf, but Virgin has just as high mins as Southwest-and most of the Fo's hired at JetBlue have PIC time, just not thousands- But leaving is what many of the 01-03 mesaba captains will be doing since we got screwed the most. BTW we are at our fence numbers so now all those Q captains can take the jet positions-and jr 2 year colgan FO's can take the Q slots
I don't follow them close, but I've had and seen many of our FOs interviewing and leaving for these airlines. I wish them well, it's just not the path that I want. This stubbornesd is probably why I've been here 13 years now, but I only have my eyes on 2 airlines.

For the record, I do feel bad for the 9E guys that now have to commute to JFK and the recent 200 upgrades that will now be displaced back to the right seat. But keep in mind, the pilots in all 3 companies are simply pawns in the game. Management runs everything. So, for 9E guys to get pissed at XJ guys for something that is out of their control is crazy. I agree,this award was jacked up and there will no doubt be a few revisions to come.

This is the most respectful thing I have EVER seen you say. Well done.

Glad to be gone from Pinnacle personally... Looks like a real mess.

I'm going to be lucky to simply hold the left seat while guys 500 numbers junior get to upgrade. Not happy here.

Yes Ken, Pinnacle got F-ed really bad in this whole deal. But... We did it all to ourselves. This, is ALL our faults. Most of 9E (with some exceptions) would have done far better under an all DOH, with negotiated fences situation. Mesaba offered us straight DOH, but this STUPID, REDNECK, HALFA$$, BOTTEM FEEDER pilot group screamed bloody murder with the "we bought them" and "they ran their company into the ground" BULLSH#$%.

That pushed our merger committee to the extreme position of "Getting as much as we can for our pilots", without making any attempt to be fair or reasonable. The arbitrator saw that we were over reaching and not playing nice, as evident in his ruling, and took it to Pinnacle pilots, hard. Stupid redneck pinnacle pilots way over-reached, and got bit hard from it.

Sorry, but Pinnacle pilots got what they deserved for trying to be terribly unfair with another sober and respectable pilot group. Pinnacle pilots also got what they had coming for being so complacent about improving their working environment, conditions and compensation. Pinnacle pilots got what they had coming for accepting employment with such a low quality employer, which ultimately weighed heavily, in so many ways, on the unfavorable ruling by the arbitrator.

This was all predicatable, and it is hard to argue that such a pathetically apethetic pilot group (with some important exceptions) deserved any better.

To the other Pinnalce pilots on this board (Not you Ken), stop giving the MSA pilots a hard time. They did nothing personally to effect your bad spot in life. The factors that are causing you problems right now, last week, last month, last year, and since you were hired.... are from Pinnacle management and your own pilot group.

You know the sad part... The reason your quotas are off (and subsequent downgrades) is you companies pre merger business model. And the reason you enjoyed a significant raise is due to Mesaba's model. So in a since, you traded one for another. Then you blame XJ for your problems. nice.

For the billionth time, Pinnacle started hiring in Summer 2010, before even the Mesaba purchase. Our staffing increased because we were cancelling tons of flight and had 35,000 (or more) hours of flying for July and August of 2010. The subsequent hiring and upgrading had nothing to do with Mesaba or your contract. In fact, the JCBA didn't even come into the picture until when it was signed in Feb 18. Pinnacle hired and upgraded because it had to, not because of the Mesaba contract. In Summer 2010 when we started hiring, no one knew what JCBA negotiations would look like. It seems a little arrogant for a XJ guy to take credit for our staffing increase, when that was not the case starting in Summer 2010.

For the billionth time, Pinnacle started hiring in Summer 2010, before even the Mesaba purchase. Our staffing increased because we were cancelling tons of flight and had 35,000 (or more) hours of flying for July and August of 2010. The subsequent hiring and upgrading had nothing to do with Mesaba or your contract. In fact, the JCBA didn't even come into the picture until when it was signed in Feb 18. Pinnacle hired and upgraded because it had to, not because of the Mesaba contract. In Summer 2010 when we started hiring, no one knew what JCBA negotiations would look like. It seems a little arrogant for a XJ guy to take credit for our staffing increase, when that was not the case starting in Summer 2010.

Grow up. Stop blaming Mesaba PILOTS for the decisions made by YOUR management and YOUR pilots that led to this.

Considering a line holding FO makes about as much as a straight reserve CA, combined with the substantial raise from previous FO pay, I'll bet you make more at the end of the year as a downgraded FO now then you would have made as an unmerged CA. I would not call that a pay cut.

Will you two (RJLoser included) always be this disgruntled about this merger? It's done... Move on. I'll buy the beer at the puzzle palace on Sept. 12th if that will help. :beer:
I already crunched the numbers. Even at my current 5th year FO payrate, I'd still make more as a reserve Captain under the Pinnacle's 1999 CBA at 75 hours guarantee only.

Most of us have a lack of career progression due to 9-11, SARS, Foot and Mouth, BKs at the the majors, Mergers at the majors, the economic downturn, and the rising cost of fuel. You career progression is no more important than any of the rest of ours. 4 years (as the OP posted) is nothing in this industry right now. If Jet Blue or Virgin is a career position for you, apply now. There is no PIC requirement. Otherwise... Get in Line.
Have you even looked? Even a "crappy" major like Virgin America requires 5,000TT and 1000TPIC! That is the highest in the US industry today for any Major/Legacy. And that's coming from Virgin......

Last edited:
Grow up. Stop blaming Mesaba PILOTS for the decisions made by YOUR management and YOUR pilots that led to this.

I'm not blaming Mesaba pilots. I was saying don't take credit for something where credit wasn't due. I blame the failures of the merger committees and that stupid arbitrator Bloch.

Latest resources

Back