• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle is Going Bye Bye!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, and the history of organized labor contains many such examples, some of which are a lot more violent and deadly than the Flint strike. None of that translates to our situation, however.

They don't have to. They'll simply fine ALPA $100 million and the union will cease to exist overnight. As soon as union protection disappear, the pilots will start crossing the lines in droves and your strike is over. Welcome to reality.

What a bunch of equivocating whining! It makes no sense to have a union if any sort of unionized action is strictly prohibited by union officials. It seems that the primary purpose of ALPA is the continued existence of ALPA. If that is the true intent, then you have created a dues extraction machine and nothing more.

At some point, when the game is so stacked against you, you have to turn over the table.

It makes no sense to have a union if any sort of unionized action is strictly prohibited by union officials.

Only illegal activity is restricted. ALPA does everything possible within the confines of the law.

It seems that the primary purpose of ALPA is the continued existence of ALPA.

The primary purpose of ALPA is defending the profession. That can't be done if ALPA ceases to exist. It's a balancing act. If you act like a bunch of criminal thugs, then the union disappears and your profession will be destroyed. If you're too cautious then you'll never make any ground. The key is finding the right balance. Sometimes ALPA is better at it than other times, but attacking the union is not an answer for you.

At some point, when the game is so stacked against you, you have to turn over the table.

The answer is trying to make sure that things aren't so stacked against us. In other words, vote pro-labor. Judging by your avatar, at least you understand that. That's better than I can say for most pilots.

Strange... I've only been through ATL 7 or 8 times in the last 6 months on RJ's, but the counter agents were the same ASA people who were there before (recognized them from my time at AAI).

Maybe they're DAL employees now, but the flights are still late... Nice flight crews, but I have yet to see a 15 minute turn for ANY type of aircraft in ATL. Down the C concourse or anywhere else...

It might happen every once in a blue moon, but it's ludicrous to schedule it that way.

What a bunch of equivocating whining! It makes no sense to have a union if any sort of unionized action is strictly prohibited by union officials.

It's not that it's prohibited by the union officials, it's prohibited by the Railway Labor Act. Unlike the GM sit down whch is covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Does PCL really have 15-minute turns scheduled in ATL? It is unrealistic to do this if so. We have 40-minute turns in ATL, and that requires lots of things to happen.

The difference between PCL and ASA in my opinion is its leadership. I have to give a lot of credit to the SKW people who came in here and did in 6 months what nobody could do in the previous 6 years.

Brad knows what employee group makes or breaks this airline. It's the PILOT GROUP. (I'm sure the SKW DX's are itching to rip me a new one now).

Hear me out though. All of the different employee groups are required to make the operation work (rampers, flight attendants, MX, gate agents, and yes, even dispatchers ;) ) However, the pilot group is perched in the cockpit watching it all unfold. If we're not getting the PAX on-time, we make a call. No fuel, we make a call. No bags or paperwork, we make a call. MX with the airplane, we make a call. No parking spot, guess what?........yup, we make a call.

Brad has enlisted the help of the pilot group by giving us more responsibility in the day-to-day operations, and has motivated us even more by throwing quarterly bonus money our way when our numbers are good.

I don't know anybody personally at PCL, but from what I read on here, your management's feet is where this failure should be laid...no where else.

Unfortunately some good people will be on the losing end as a result.

What a bunch of equivocating whining! It makes no sense to have a union if any sort of unionized action is strictly prohibited by union officials. It seems that the primary purpose of ALPA is the continued existence of ALPA. If that is the true intent, then you have created a dues extraction machine and nothing more..

I assume that they are covertly looking into how to collect dues from information technology professionals. After the airlines are done, video-conferencing is going to be HUGE :rolleyes:

Does PCL really have 15-minute turns scheduled in ATL? It is unrealistic to do this if so. We have 40-minute turns in ATL, and that requires lots of things to happen.

The difference between PCL and ASA in my opinion is its leadership. I have to give a lot of credit to the SKW people who came in here and did in 6 months what nobody could do in the previous 6 years.

Brad knows what employee group makes or breaks this airline. It's the PILOT GROUP. (I'm sure the SKW DX's are itching to rip me a new one now).

Hear me out though. All of the different employee groups are required to make the operation work (rampers, flight attendants, MX, gate agents, and yes, even dispatchers ;) ) However, the pilot group is perched in the cockpit watching it all unfold. If we're not getting the PAX on-time, we make a call. No fuel, we make a call. No bags or paperwork, we make a call. MX with the airplane, we make a call. No parking spot, guess what?........yup, we make a call.

Brad has enlisted the help of the pilot group by giving us more responsibility in the day-to-day operations, and has motivated us even more by throwing quarterly bonus money our way when our numbers are good.

I don't know anybody personally at PCL, but from what I read on here, your management's feet is where this failure should be laid...no where else.

Unfortunately some good people will be on the losing end as a result.
Excellent post!

There's a thought... incentivize your employees. Wow. How quaint. ;)

Incidentally, AirTran routinely schedules 25 minute turns in ATL... sometimes with an aircraft swap. If you bust your butt, you can do it and even, most of the time, get out 2 minutes early. I was fascinated to see 717's and 737's get turned faster than the CRJ's at my previous carrier.

This, however, requires that everyone does their job perfectly and, often, I'd get out there to make sure it was getting done - A/C plugged in, strollers brought up, etc, then run for food for crew, make it back in time to finish the before start checklist and off we go. My incentive? I believed in the airline.

Silly me... :erm:

If the crews were to suddenly stop helping out and just did their thing, D-0 would probably lose double digits almost overnight. The flight crews coordinating with ground crews, including DX, gate agents, and rampers, is the glue that holds the operation together.

Screw with any portion of that, and bad things happen.

The west-coast condoms will soon be on probation so none of this matters. Bama is 5-1 vs. the trojans. Too bad ya'll play in such a wimp conference.

Latest resources

Back