• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The current published mins are 1500/300 (for non-Gulfstream PFTers). You can bet that you won't get a call back with those numbers unless someone walks your stuff in.

Us "off-the-street" captains were the red-headed step-children and were for the most part stuck on reserve for a very long time. It was almost two years of it for me before I left. I'm not sure how all the other regionals are since Pinnacle was my first (and last) regional, but reserve there was brutal, especially since the bulk of it is spent sitting at the airport!! Many FO's had lines a few months in, but again, it varied. You got the rest.

Us "off-the-street" captains were the red-headed step-children and were for the most part stuck on reserve for a very long time.

You guys weren't the red headed step children you were the most junior captains in the company. There is a place for the most junior people in there status. Its called RESERVE. I have a hard time believing that you had no concept of the seniority system before starting here.

There is a place for the most junior people in there status. Its called RESERVE.

Therein lies the problems with Pinnacle's logic. Being junior does not necessarily mean you are to be punished with reserve. At many airlines, senior pilots take reserve, making it harder for some junior guys to get. It's not entirely meant as a way to prove who is stuck at the bottom and who isn't. Maybe some day you'll grasp that.

And yes, we were the step-children of the company - many of the "older" pilots looked at us like we hadn't paid our dues in this industry. Had the company not needed a bunch of experienced pilots, they wouldn't have hired us off-the-street into the left seat.

Therein lies the problems with Pinnacle's logic. Being junior does not necessarily mean you are to be punished with reserve. At many airlines, senior pilots take reserve, making it harder for some junior guys to get. It's not entirely meant as a way to prove who is stuck at the bottom and who isn't. Maybe some day you'll grasp that.

I don't know of one regional airline (or any scheduled airline) that reserve goes to the senior end of the list. You should have known that reserves at Pinnacle had 10 days off with quite a bit of ready reserve. If you didn't its your own fault for not doing your homework before accepting a new job.

And yes, we were the step-children of the company - many of the "older" pilots looked at us like we hadn't paid our dues in this industry. Had the company not needed a bunch of experienced pilots, they wouldn't have hired us off-the-street into the left seat.

If you had stayed long enough you might know that those "older" pilots you speak of treat everyone that way. Many of them were new hire captains themselves in the '80s. The company did not 'need' experienced pilots. They needed pilots with the right numbers on their resume to get a break from the insurance company. Many FO's with over 2000 hours of part 121 multi-turbine time in company were passed up on upgrade for charter or corporate guys with no airline experience and barely the minimum time requirements. Don't kid yourself that somehow you deserved the left seat more than some of our three year FO's.

Hey,
You guys didn't have to sit reserve in the left seat. You could have easily bid to the right seat and had 18-20 days off like I do now. I just ain't getting paid jack squat!
And Forged...what do think helped you get your job at ATA?

Dude, I never assumed I deserved a left seat more than anyone else. Had you been in my shoes and had the offer, would you have said no? HAd it not been for 9/11, there would have been more. I did do my homework and knew what I was getting in to, unfortunately, any attempts by anyone to improve the quality of life at PCL was always a waste of time.

If you don't know of any airline that reserve can go senior, then you haven't looked around quite enough! And yes, getting more 121 time at PCL did help me get out, but I came in the door with some already, as did most of us. PIC jet is PIC jet.

All the Street Captains DID do their homework before we came on. We jumpseated around the system, asked a LOT of hard questions, had the same Kool-aid served to us during the interview by those-who-will-not-be-named on Nonconnah, and swallowed and smiled because it all sounded so good: "No more than 90 days on reserve, more street captains to come, lots of jets coming, so come on down!"

We did. 9/11 happens, Street Captain program stopped, all of us furloughed. Back a couple months later, then displaced to F/O. Back a couple months later but stuck on reserve forever and nowhere else to go that's better. Such is life and as one of our instructors is fond of saying, "Suck it up, CUPCAKE!" :D What I CAN say is that I'm d*mn lucky to have a job, even if I b*tch about getting JM'd below 10 days off and they pay me my measly 3.75 instead of giving me my comp day. There's nothing I can do about it except smile and keep sending out those resumes to SWA, JetBlue, ATA ;) and whoever else looks like a good career move.

I can also vouch for Forged on the inability to improve reserve life. Everyone who works for Pinnacle knows who I am (same screen name I use for our communications emails for the union) and most know that I've been doing the reserve line construction for DTW the last 5 months (except October). It takes an act of God and written consent from Jesus to get just ONE extra 12-day off ready reserve line, even if it makes life easier FOR CORPORATE. During the pilot meeting today we discussed how good on morale it would be to let the extra reserves beyond the paired lines have 12 days off... they're just extra guys sitting around anyway. TM and MG both pretty much said not a snowball's chance in... well, you get the idea.

Others before us sat reserve just as long or longer and hated it (and b*tched about it) just as much (I have it on good authority from other senior guys who were here at the time that we don't whine any more or less than they did). We thought we had paid our dues,,, well I guess we get to pay a little more. Did we deserve it more than others already here? Nope. Does a 5,000 hour guy with 2,000 jet PIC do a better job than a 2,000 hour guy with no jet experience and little to no turbine PIC? Probably so or you'd see more 2,000 hour guys at the majors. Do we have any say in what corporate does? Ummmm NO! So why do we continue to bicker amongst ourselves about it? Dayummm...

Incidentally, for the ORIGINAL post inquiring about quality of life at Pinnacle: This kind of stuff does NOT dominate the corporate culture here. Most everyone gets along quite well and it is an overall decent place to work, especially for a regional. Also for those interested, there was a pilot meeting in DTW today with the Chief Pilot and Director of Ops. Effective immediately, hiring is to be ramped up to 40-45 a month (20 in class on the 1st, 24 in class on the 21st) throughout June of next year. Reserve will be nearly nonexistent for a while in most domiciles, especially MEM. Big NWA is accelerating our deliveries of CRJ's starting in January - I'm not going to speculate why on here, don't want to incite any riots beyond what my above post will probably do anyway.

Hey Lear70, I have thanked you in the crew room and through email and on the airlinkpilots.com many times for your line construction help to all of us.

But something that torques me quite alot is p u s s i es complaining about reserve.

I sat four years reserve at my last 121 company. Street Captains were hired off the street from Emery because the Chief pilot thought that Emery was going to come back and he could get a job there at Emery someday by helping out some high seniority Emery Captains while they were out of work by hiring them around our seniority. All the FO's in our company had the time insurance wise to be Captain. And 80% of the FE's had the insurance time for upgrade to FO. We got screwed but thems the breaks. I was even furloughed 4 times as well during that time.

Only sat 3 days reserve at Pinnacle. I was lucky for once. But quite irritated listening to you guys whining about reserve. Its a part of the job and seniority. This place is ten times better than other places that alot of people start at. S h i t I made more at the last company as FE than you guys make here as Captain. But would much rather be here at a place thats not going to go around seniority as long as you have the insurance required time to upgrade.

Suck it up s h i t bird and quit complaining about reserve. In a few more months you'll be off the couch.

Stop complaining about the right of passsage sitting reserve. I didn't complain about sitting before. I expected reserve. I will probably sit four years reserve as Capt here when I get upgraded and I will not complain then. I expect it. Its a part of life if this is what you want to do for a living. Get over it.

If you don't like standard ops for this industy take your little 757 type you like to brag about and your Ebay/laptop business and go somewhere else. You don't have to work in the airline industry if you don't want to.

But if you stay stop trying to defend yourself and others about being a street Capt. It really pisses alot of people off. You are doing good in working on the website. Doing good work and keeping your mouth shut about reserve and not trying to defend the street capt position will go a long way towards redeeming yourself to the others who will never ever change their perception of street Capt position no matter what anybody ever says. If you don't want to stand down from your pride (which we all know you have a lot of) and redeem yourself maybe you should go elsewhere.

Thought you had already payed your dues??? When a doctor or a lawyer changes jobs they are still a doctor or lawyer getting money comensurate with the position they have earned in their industry. When a pilot changes jobs he is normally back to being an FO/FE and on reserve comensurate with industry standards and he never stops paying dues... Pick your life and then when you don't like your situation make your complaints to the person in the mirror. Best time to do this is in the wee hours of the morning when you are in the bathroom of your hotel room looking at your dilapidated self getting ready to get down to the hotel van on time during your illegal overnight/ highspeed/ stand-up/ continuous duty overnight on 3 and half hours of sleep.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back