• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinch me, I must be dreaming...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if you did save a bunch of time by having the gear up, with the legendary Cutlass RG you have to worry every flight whether that gear is going to come back down!

That's what I meant by the word "risk" of the landing gear on Cessna singles.

The term I always used was "Icabod Crane landing gear" to describe it.

It's just too awkward and clumsy for me.

That's what I meant by the word "risk" of the landing gear on Cessna singles.

The term I always used was "Icabod Crane landing gear" to describe it.

It's just too awkward and clumsy for me.

I agree with you, I've flown 3 different RGs and have had to pump the gear down on all three of them.

Here's my take on this...

1. Talk to an aviation insurance guy first off - you don't want to set your sights in anything out of reach. Remember, it's not what's on your license that tells you what you can fly - it's the insurance company.

2. Don't even think about doing a lease back. At the very best, it MIGHT defer (not eliminate) some of your costs for a while; but eventually you've got to pay the piper. Worst case scenario, it can run up yours costs significantly. Basically, all you end up doing is substadising someone else's flying. Don't be seduced by a salesman's or flight school's promises - ask for references. Talk to some of their long-term leaseback owners. My bet is that they won't have any.

3. Analyze your purchase options carefully - I've owned several aircraft over the years and I have money on each and every one of them when it came time to sell.

LS

Last edited:
Try and find a limited number of users. Secondly, get some other aircraft like a Saratoga, something with simple systems like the people above are indicating. You buy it and they rent it but to very few people. Come up wiht a number where you are getting some cash for ownership and operating but taking the depreciation.

The Saratoga has a lot of disadvantages, it is big, burns a lot of gas, and has higher insurance and maintenance costs. It is not an entry level airplane except for someone who has a lot of spare cash sitting around, read Doctor, lawyer.

Most people I know who have done leasebacks ended up with higher expenses then what they took in. It is also really rough on the airplane all those touch and goes, quick power cuts/throttle ups, etc. The plane just gets beat to pieces (they call it a rental power setting for a reason).

There is a lot of things to lean that come with owning an airplane it isn't like buying a car and there aren't a lot of manuals to read on how to best do it. Best thing as others have suggested is to join a flying club initially. This will give you the best bang for your buck and you can learn through the club some of the ins and outs of plane ownership.

Don't expect to make money on an airplane and don't buy anything but a slow fixed gear single (172 is perfect) Too many people with a few bucks buy more airplane than they can handle. Gain experience then trade up if that's the idea-it wil also save on insurance.

Latest resources

Back