• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinacle starting to interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The hiring is for massive attrition. We are losing 5 Captains and 10 FOs every month.

I wonder if Pinnacle would be better than Regions.. :D

Last edited:
Pinnacle (spelled correctly this time)

Hey,
I have alot riding on this interview, so I would like to learn a little more from anyone who works insdie the company. PM or post up here.
Thanks

Edge,

I think people are trying to help you by telling you to stay away. Do you see any other company offering signing bonuses? There is a reason they can't get people to apply. No matter how desperate you may be, save yourself future pain and look elsewhere. Pinnacle is a miserable place to work, even for a regional they are a painful place to fly. Don't take the bashing personally, listen to what they are saying and decide if you still want to be apart of it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think besides the last poster, nobody specifically tell you to stay away from 9E. Yes, management is very hostile, and NW ground crews hate us, among others. But you work with some really fine people (pilots), and one of the better group of MX you can find in regionals. It is a place for you to gain some flight time, and if so we're lucky that we may even grow in the near future, you may even see left seat in 3-5 years.

Of course there are better place to go, but you can rest assured that the people you fly with everyday are professionals, trying to do the job right, and go home happy. Don't let all the pissers make this job any worse than it is. If you want any info, PM me.

one BIG benefit of working at PCL

One thing that nobody seems to be considering is that as a newhire at 9E you will have the chance to learn at least 2 foreign languages, or the English language if you don't already know it.

To me, that is worth a min of $75.00 on the W-2 (per language).

Just a consideration.

Call me Crazy....

But I am more than willing to bet that all of these people that are bashing the land of pineapple, heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend that work here. I will speak from my own experiences. I spent one month on reserve. How long are you folks at Express Jet, ASA, and Skywest on reserve?? A year?? More?? I got hired when they were in a hiring boom. Been here 8 months, 300 below me. Already hold 14+ days off/month. Don't let this Bankruptcy bs fool you. Smoke and mirrors my friend, welcome to the profession. It's called posturing. Who can do my flying for the least amount of money. Now, I'm not gonna lie. "Management" is interesting at times, but where isn't it?? Sorry folks, but this regional ball game is all the same. No matter where you go, there is gonna be something to %$^$^ about. Let me give you a little perspective that most don't commonly think of though my friend. Look at emerging economies. Booming economies mean more discretionary income to spend on things such as travel. I see Asian countries as future emerging economies. Who has tabs on the Asian markets?? NW. period. This place isn't going anywhere just an adapting business model like everyone in this industry. So don't let these folks rain on your parade. Bottom line these are the questions you need to ask yourself wherever you go. Where do you want to live, what ac do you want to fly, and who is the airline affiliated with. Delta? United? NW....etc, etc, etc. Do your homework, and follow your gut instinct, you will be fine.

Sig

Attrition is way up (already mentioned), yes.. we parked 15, does ANYONE really believe they will stay parked? NOOOO... NWA has used this ploy more than once with each pilot group flying red tails. It is getting old, but you ride it out for a few months and things will change.

Company has been hinting at more growth come the turn of the year, at whose expense is the $64,000 dollar question. What type of growth and for how long no one really knows.

Ideally the company wants to have about 1300 pilots on the line, we have about 1100 right now and decreasing. I would estimate maybe 200-300 more new hires, which would equate to hiring for about 6 months.

another cfii said:
I think besides the last poster, nobody specifically tell you to stay away from 9E.
I would.

Yes, management is very hostile, and NW ground crews hate us, among others.
Not to mention ceasing negotiations, decreasing Quality Of Life, and the worst reserve rules in the industry plus hostile schedulers to make your life oh so much fun.

But you work with some really fine people (pilots), and one of the better group of MX you can find in regionals. It is a place for you to gain some flight time,
Two of the reasons I stay here... the other two are "I can't replace this income anywhere else right at this moment" and "I'm trying to leave and job-hopping looks bad on a resume."

and if so we're lucky that we may even grow in the near future, you may even see left seat in 3-5 years.
Very, VERY bad idea to use "IF" statements when making a job decision.

Of course there are better place to go,,,
BINGO!

My advice: if you can find another regional with better QOL, go there. If you can't and this is your only choice, then come here, build the time, and bail like others have done, but at least do it with open eyes for what to expect.

One thing that nobody seems to be considering is that as a newhire at 9E you will have the chance to learn at least 2 foreign languages, or the English language if you don't already know it.

To me, that is worth a min of $75.00 on the W-2 (per language).

Just a consideration.
Classic! :D It's not THAT bad, but sometimes you gotta listen twice for what the other pilot just said when he or she gets busy - accents get thick and pace of speech picks up.

I will speak from my own experiences. I spent one month on reserve. How long are you folks at Express Jet, ASA, and Skywest on reserve?? A year?? More?? I got hired when they were in a hiring boom. Been here 8 months, 300 below me. Already hold 14+ days off/month.
That is not what the newhires will be experiencing and you know quite well that this month is the first time in MONTHS that the average days off in DTW or MSP has jumped above 12 (including reserves which their bid packs don't - they're people too and they care just as much as you do about days off).

Again, don't rely on IF's when making your decision. We are hiring for attrition that may or may not pick up or slow down. Assume industry standard attrition (1% per month, mostly CA's) and you'll be fine in your decision making. Don't come expecting 1 month of reserve and 14 days off within your first year.

Additionally, remember that 30% of the MEM pilots are only getting 10 days off and the average day off value is 11. Someone mentioned wanting MEM earlier - that's the gamble you take when you pick a base. It's been just as bad in other bases in different months.

Come and get your time if this is the only place that offers a job, just do so knowing what you're getting yourself into.

Incidentally, last I spoke with Scott E. about attrition, he said we'd lost 36 pilots in the month of October, none to disciplinary action, and that was on the 20th. More have probably given their 2 week's notice since then.

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
The hiring is for massive attrition. We are losing 5 Captains and 10 FOs every month.

Wow.... Hey I guess ol' Kit Darby is right after all. That many people moving on must mean a great big pilot shortage....

Latest resources

Back