Pilotyip not anti-college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
landlover said:
I know for a fact that one can become an engineer without a college degree all together. My best friend that was an illegal immegrant from Bogata Colombia. dang right he walked through the desert from mexico when he was 5 f-ing years old, now is a mechanical engineer and he never graduated from college. And my mom is a manager thats it, her job before this was manager a dang CVS.
Is he still illegal or did he become a US citizen?

landlover said:
I know for a fact that one can become an engineer without a college degree all together. My best friend that was an illegal immegrant from Bogata Colombia. dang right he walked through the desert from mexico when he was 5 f-ing years old, now is a mechanical engineer and he never graduated from college.
Uhhhhuh, good for your friend, you say he never graduated from college. I'd say chances are good that he *did* attend some college, and studied Mecanical engineering, if he is in fact employed as a mechanical engineer. The term "engineer" get's bandied about fairly loosely these days . (domestic engineer, petroleum transfer engineer, etc.) If he truly is a no $hit, mechanical engineer, he either has some formal education engineering, or he is a very rare and exceptional case. Anyway, you seem to have completely missed the point.
My point was not that it is impossible to become an engineer without an engineering degree, my point was that your statement;
The subject you focus on for an undergraduate dregree isn't important in any field.
is bull$hit, there are many fields in which hte focus of your undergraduate degree *is* important, engineering is one of them. That should be pretty obvious, and it is not disproven by mentioning one person who may or may not be an exception.

landlover said:
The subject you focus on for an undergraduate dregree isn't important in any field... A BS is basically a high school diploma nowwa days, if one decides to persue a MS or PHD thats when the real focus begins.

The above stated is not always the case, but there is some truth to it. As a current grad student, I can verify that advanced courswork is much more focused and intensive than undergraduate work, (i.e. I actually have to put effort into things now) although the faculty isn't nearly as adversarial as before.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the BS is the new high school diploma, but there are indeed a very few select fields where one must major in the specific field that they desire to work in, i.e. accounting, engineering, etc. Take our profession for example; we work in a very technical field, yet a degree in aviation (or a degree at all, by certain individuals' estimation) is not required per se. Another example: A pre-med degree is not required to be admitted to medical school.

Undergraduate degrees, on the whole, are definitely limiting, at least from my perspective of a graduate student in a marketable field that has been clued-in to what I could possibly do with my education.

In any case, I do think it is a wise idea to get at least a BS. Sure, you may be able to secure employment as a pilot with no degree, but the way that competition is becoming, I'd certainly want every advantage I could possibly posess. "Luck favors the prepared."

Nevermind the fact that learning only to fly airplanes is so narrowly focused that it borders on prosaic. I simply couldn't stand knowing that little about life.

-Goose

Last edited:
A Squared said:
Uhhhhuh, good for your friend, you say he never graduated from college. I'd say chances are good that he *did* attend some college, and studied Mecanical engineering, if he is in fact employed as a mechanical engineer. The term "engineer" get's bandied about fairly loosely these days . (domestic engineer, petroleum transfer engineer, etc.) If he truly is a no $hit, mechanical engineer, he either has some formal education engineering, or he is a very rare and exceptional case. Anyway, you seem to have completely missed the point.
My point was not that it is impossible to become an engineer without an engineering degree, my point was that your statement; is bull$hit, there are many fields in which hte focus of your undergraduate degree *is* important, engineering is one of them. That should be pretty obvious, and it is not disproven by mentioning one person who may or may not be an exception.

I see your point now Asquared, and yes my friend is an amazing individual. Yes he is a no sh!t mech.engineer. Just proves to all, that there really isn't a status quo for much these days.

In the field of Mechanical Engineering, the ONLY substitute for the "Degree" is a "PE". That's "Registered Professional Engineer". To get this licence requires one to get enough knowledge to pass the tests to get the licence. Guess what? That knowledge will not be got in high school. You take (many) college courses. You don't need the degree....BUT.. you WILL have to pass the test.

Any serious ME with a degree, will also get the PE if he wants to cover his bases.

Many years ago, having a college degree, was an indication that you had the apptitude for learning. That was the key. You could be a B-17 pilot...even with a history degree. Obviously there will be exeptions to any rule.

pilotyip talks about show stoppers, but what I didn't seem him address is "competitive minimums." When an airline posts a minimum requirement, it is just that... just because they don't require a degree does not mean that you will be competitive without a degree. In another thread, he posted some statistics about how many people at about six different airlines DON'T have a degree. There were some assertions made (by him IIRC) that it might be EASIER to be hired out of the pool of applicants with no degree because there are fewer of those applicants compared to the ratio of people hired with a degree vs the number of degreed applicants applying. However, the major issue I took with that but never voiced is that there is no proof that degreed and non-degreed applicants come out of separate pools.

cforst513 said:
let's say Jimbo Pilot loses his medical. what then? or what if you become disenfranchised with flying? why not have a degree to fall back on in case this happens and you're still at the age where you should/have to work? 30 years old and you get some medical disorder and can't fly, you're getting laid off as a F.O. at a regional, you probably don't have a bunch of money to go back to school, so now what? Get a degree when you're young, get the college experience, become a more well-rounded individual.

and don't get a degree in aviation, for christ's sake.

So what is the fallback value of a degree you haven't used in 20 years? It's a legit question that I'm facing now. Okay, mine is only a couple of years old, remedied by some "refresher" training, but it's still an issue nonetheless. I'm of the opinion that the largest fallback value is getting into a graduate program, unless you've somehow been able to maintain your degree skills along the way.

landlover said:
I know for a fact that one can become an engineer without a college degree all together. My best friend that was an illegal immegrant from Bogata Colombia. dang right he walked through the desert from mexico when he was 5 f-ing years old, now is a mechanical engineer and he never graduated from college. And my mom is a manager thats it, her job before this was manager a dang CVS.

There are cases of individuals never graduating from college yet becoming very successful financially. You did say that your friend never graduated from college... but did he attend college or get some other formal training? It MIGHT be possible that they hired him before he completed his degree requirements, had a co-op or internship, and then they picked him up early. But if he walked out of high school on his 18th bday and into that job, well, I want to know how.

College Boy

My father was a B17 and B29 instructor. Hired by Continental into left seat of DC3. Called back to fly C54 in the Berlin Airlift. Returned to Continental in the CV340. Flew for Continental for 34 years in DC6, DC7, Viscounts, 320C (MACV), 727 (AIR MIC), 747 and retiring in DC10 landing at HNL a 1/2 hour before his 60th birthday. He has a high school education. His adage is "son, you don't have to be too smart to be an airline pilot."

A piece of paper does not a pilot make.

smellthejeta said:
So what is the fallback value of a degree you haven't used in 20 years?
It's definately a rough position to find yourself in. But I'll throw out the question - let's assume that you're 52 years old, just lost your medical and you've found yourself having to look for work. That would be a tough situation under any circumstances, but would you rather start pounding the pavement with an unused 30 year old bachelor's degree or with nothing more than a high school diploma or GED? I don't know about you, but I'm glad I've got my business degree. By the way, as a flight department manager and chief pilot, I guess that I have used it all along.

FWIW, I had my ATP and nearly 4,000 hours before I graduated from college. From start to finish it took me nearly ten years to finish up. A big chunk of my total study time was spent in the back of a Cessna 411 parked at the Grand Canyon airport while my passengers were on tour buses.

I don't have a lot of patience when guys tell me that they can't do it. I did it, it just took 10 years. Along the way I got married, started a family, and paid for all of my ratings. When I was finished it was all paid for - no student loans were involved. I'm not all that smart, so if I can figure it out it ought to be easy for the rest of you.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back