Pilotyip not anti-college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

To continue the discussion of the merits of the college degree. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university and then pursue a career in that area of study. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies from Bumble Bee State just because FedEx requires a degree to apply. However this is not an education forum, this is an aviation forum. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry, in that case because you are not going to use your degree do it on the side. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with UPS, then that prospective pilot should go to college. Air Inc advertises that 177 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a Must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 172 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$150K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. In fact, going to college will delay a move into a career position. If you want to be a pilot, you fly airplanes. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position without a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do.

It used to be about the joy of flying. Management seems to do everything in its power to take that away. Now its about earning a living. Speaking as one without a degree, I would get one if I had it to do over again. Its a show stopper at the better places to work nowdays.(Fed Ex/Ups etc.)

Last edited:
let's say Jimbo Pilot loses his medical. what then? or what if you become disenfranchised with flying? why not have a degree to fall back on in case this happens and you're still at the age where you should/have to work? 30 years old and you get some medical disorder and can't fly, you're getting laid off as a F.O. at a regional, you probably don't have a bunch of money to go back to school, so now what? Get a degree when you're young, get the college experience, become a more well-rounded individual.

and don't get a degree in aviation, for christ's sake.

Junkflyer said:
It used to be about the joy of flying. Management seems to do everything in its power to take that away. Now its about earning a living. Speaking as one without a degree, I would get one if I had it to do over again. Its a show stopper at the better places to work nowdays.(Fed Ex/Ups etc.)
It can also be a show stopper at many corporate operations as well. I agree that you "might" be able to get buy without one, but in today's job market, when you're essentially just another sheet in a tall pile of resumes, do you really want to be one of the few without a degree? Don't make it easy for those who are trying to whittle down the stack of resumes to file yours in the round file. And we haven't even mentioned the wisdom of having something to fall back on just in case...

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
No one needs a degree in Airplane Flying oops I meant Aviation. What a waste of time and $$$.

'Sled
Absolutely by FAR the STUPIDEST thing I have ever done. Without question.

The subject you focus on for an undergraduate dregree isn't important in any field. I know many people that work far outside what they majored in, in college. For example my parents, mom majored in textile design. Now she is a wardrobe supervisor at an entertainment company. Good ole pop dropped outta school in the 9th grade, owns a few street food vendors. A BS is basically a high school diploma nowwa days, if one decides to persue a MS or PHD thats when the real focus begins, dont fool youself thinking you wasted your time in college. You have a degree and thats what you have. Lets say you took management in college. What then? you'd still be a pilot with a mgmt degree. At least you can say you actually use your degree.

my father got his degree in wildlife management and he's a supervisor at a post office. don't just focus on the degree. think of the intangibles as well. there's so much more associated with college than just getting a degree. i myself was opened up to a world of other ideas, cultures, and people that i can guarantee you i wouldn't have experienced w/out college.

landlover said:
The subject you focus on for an undergraduate dregree isn't important in any field.
Ummmm, right. Try going out and getting a job as an engineer without an engineering degree.

landlover said:
For example my parents, mom majored in textile design. Now she is a wardrobe supervisor at an entertainment company.
Hmmm, you see no connection at all between her education and career?

A Squared said:
Ummmm, right. Try going out and getting a job as an engineer without an engineering degree.

Hmmm, you see no connection at all between her education and career?

I know for a fact that one can become an engineer without a college degree all together. My best friend that was an illegal immegrant from Bogata Colombia. Damn right he walked through the desert from mexico when he was 5 f-ing years old, now is a mechanical engineer and he never graduated from college. And my mom is a manager thats it, her job before this was manager a damn CVS.

Latest resources

Back