• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots - Work One Day For Haiti Challenge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I donated more than my fair share to the $100 million Obama is sending down there. $43,000 in income taxes last year. That was a more than a couple day's pay...more like a couple month's. The corruption down there is staggering too. We've been sending millions every year too, not just now, and much of it it gets squandered to corrupt government officials and gangs. Even altruistic Bill Clinton had some sort of corrupt scam going with a telephone company and Haiti in the past.

With all the United Staes government help going down there, I think we all already donated a lot.

EXACTLY! And just remember we have to borrow the money our government so generously sends. Why not just get the chinese to just send them a check and cut out the middle man (us).

I donated more than my fair share to the $100 million Obama is sending down there. $43,000 in income taxes last year. That was a more than a couple day's pay...more like a couple month's. The corruption down there is staggering too. We've been sending millions every year too, not just now, and much of it it gets squandered to corrupt government officials and gangs. Even altruistic Bill Clinton had some sort of corrupt scam going with a telephone company and Haiti in the past.

With all the United Staes government help going down there, I think we all already donated a lot.

Rush,

While agree that there will be scams and I am hesitant to give as well, we have to assume that what we give will help on a disaster of this magnitude. I think we can all give 5 bucks for Christ's sake. Might keep someone alive, might not.........

Last edited:
If you haven't been in a cave this week, you all know about the devastation in Haiti. We all get preoccupied over our own little world of contract issues or how our friends at "Screw Scheduling" treat us, but in the grand scheme of things, our issues are insignificant when compared to people who don't even know where to find clean water or know when their next meal will be.

So here's the deal. Take 5 minutes (or less) to donate one day's pay to the cause. I donated the equivalent of 4 hours and used the American Red Cross website (www.redcross.org). If you want other options, Catholic Charities already has a presence there, Salvation Army and many other organizations are up and running too. Just be careful giving to an organization you don't know since the crooks are already making fake websites. If all else fails, use the media websites (Foxnews, NBC, etc.) for a list of charities.

One day's pay. That's less than a monthly bar bill for some of you guys. If that's too much then donate at least one hour. And then count your blessings that we live in this great country.

Aren't there enough problems with poverty in our own country that we should take care of first?

Besides, I do not feel bad for most of Haiti. I do feel bad for and will help anyway that I can for the Christian people of Haiti. I may be wrong, but I thought that Haiti was mostly a voo-doo country. What do they expect when they turn their backs on God. For that I do not feel bad.

Like I said, if there is a donation fund for Christians of Haiti I will gladly give.

Like the one guy said, the country is how it is for a reason. Look at most non-Christian countries, they are mostly all in ruins and very third worldish.

Aren't there enough problems with poverty in our own country that we should take care of first?

Besides, I do not feel bad for most of Haiti. I do feel bad for and will help anyway that I can for the Christian people of Haiti. I may be wrong, but I thought that Haiti was mostly a voo-doo country. What do they expect when they turn their backs on God. For that I do not feel bad.

Like I said, if there is a donation fund for Christians of Haiti I will gladly give.

Like the one guy said, the country is how it is for a reason. Look at most non-Christian countries, they are mostly all in ruins and very third worldish.

Wow...

Haiti's official religion is roman catholic with most people practicing. I recall your prophet Jesus saying "love thy neighbor"...

Oh, for the record, I have an American friend that spent 7 hours in the rubble only to be dug out by hand by her husband and about 30 good hearted haitians. She was there to run a mission that improved the lives of the locals and spread the word of your "savior". These are good people that are in a bad situation, apparently you forgot that your religion teaches compassion. You are a disgrace.

Haiti's official religion is roman catholic with most people practicing. I recall your prophet Jesus saying "love thy neighbor"...

Oh, for the record, I have an American friend that spent 7 hours in the rubble only to be dug out by hand by her husband and about 30 good hearted haitians. She was there to run a mission that improved the lives of the locals and spread the word of your "savior". These are good people that are in a bad situation, apparently you forgot that your religion teaches compassion. You are a disgrace.

Well said. Unfortunately, the "If you're not a Christian, then FU" mentality is all to common.

Compassion.com is a reputable Christian organization that you can donate to . Remember, love begins with God but does not end with just Christians.

You so-called conservatives crack me up. You pay lip service to independence and self-sufficiency outside of government. Yet, when it comes to putting your money where your mouth is, you choose to depend on the government. It's all about the money, isn't it?

I'm tired of the right wing trying to opportunistically politicize this disaster. The bottom line is that people are in dire need of help.

Lead, follow or get the f---- out of the way. In other words, set aside your shallow politics and put up or shut up.

Here is a list of charities and their efficiency rating (i.e. percentage of funds that go directly to aid vs administrative/overhead costs.) according to Forbes.

Forbes

You'll see that the Red Cross is at 80%....which is actually much improved over their former 40 something percent rating. However, my money went to Direct Relief International with a 100% efficiency rating.

Before you get too upset at all Christians because of what SFR said, I think he is just flaming. He is sort of playing the Stephen Colbert here. I don't believe any honest follower of Jesus Christ would say the things he said in such a calloused manner or use that for an excuse to not give to people so needy right now.

Also, it is a rare Christian who will list there current position as "doggy style." So, I am kind of getting the impression he is just saying what he thinks a Christian would say to get a rise out of everyone or he is the kind of pilot (Christian) who says "I am to the book" (bible) and then proceeds to disregard anything he finds inconvenient.

Latest resources

Back