Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CatfishVT9

Anti-Democrat
If you haven't been in a cave this week, you all know about the devastation in Haiti. We all get preoccupied over our own little world of contract issues or how our friends at "Screw Scheduling" treat us, but in the grand scheme of things, our issues are insignificant when compared to people who don't even know where to find clean water or know when their next meal will be.

So here's the deal. Take 5 minutes (or less) to donate one day's pay to the cause. I donated the equivalent of 4 hours and used the American Red Cross website (www.redcross.org). If you want other options, Catholic Charities already has a presence there, Salvation Army and many other organizations are up and running too. Just be careful giving to an organization you don't know since the crooks are already making fake websites. If all else fails, use the media websites (Foxnews, NBC, etc.) for a list of charities.

One day's pay. That's less than a monthly bar bill for some of you guys. If that's too much then donate at least one hour. And then count your blessings that we live in this great country.

Posted from another forum

USA Unicef will cover all admin costs. All of your donation goes directly to those in need.

www.cnn.com\impact

Posted from another forum...

I worked relief in Haiti before. Virtually all of the supplies we moved and needed to deliver were stolen or held ransom by high ranking government officials or gunmen.

MOST of the goods were stolen at gunpoint by the same people after the 1000% duties were paid on the relief supplies. Haiti is the way it is for a reason.

I would be very hesitant to give money to any charities claiming they are delivering supplies in Haiti. Experience says otherwise.

Just my two cents worth. If a foreign military power isn't DIRECTLY involved in the forced distribution of goods, all you are doing is making a few people very wealthy through profiteering.

Posted from another forum...

I worked relief in Haiti before. Virtually all of the supplies we moved and needed to deliver were stolen or held ransom by high ranking government officials or gunmen.

MOST of the goods were stolen at gunpoint by the same people after the 1000% duties were paid on the relief supplies. Haiti is the way it is for a reason.

I would be very hesitant to give money to any charities claiming they are delivering supplies in Haiti. Experience says otherwise.

Just my two cents worth. If a foreign military power isn't DIRECTLY involved in the forced distribution of goods, all you are doing is making a few people very wealthy through profiteering.

While that will probably happen next month, or next week, I would think that there's too much worldwide attention focused on this for it to happen widescale at the present time.

spelling </sigh>

Let me get this straight, you think PILOTS are going to donate money! That's funny. But I sent some to the Red Cross. The fear that it may not reach people is real down there, but just because the house is on fire and all we have are buckets, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to put it out.

I'm a realist, a lot of cash will get lost, but we need to at least try before dismissing it out of hand.

I donated more than my fair share to the $100 million Obama is sending down there. $43,000 in income taxes last year. That was a more than a couple day's pay...more like a couple month's. The corruption down there is staggering too. We've been sending millions every year too, not just now, and much of it it gets squandered to corrupt government officials and gangs. Even altruistic Bill Clinton had some sort of corrupt scam going with a telephone company and Haiti in the past.

With all the United Staes government help going down there, I think we all already donated a lot.

Last edited:
Done. Just checked my paystub. Taxes were again taken out to support the US government in their efforts to provide relief. The US military is the only way to go for disasters like this.

I donated more than my fair share to the $100 million Obama is sending down there. $43,000 in income taxes last year. That was a more than a couple day's pay...more like a couple month's. The corruption down there is staggering too. We've been sending millions every year too, not just now, and much of it it gets squandered to corrupt government officials and gangs. Even altruistic Bill Clinton had some sort of corrupt scam going with a telephone company and Haiti in the past.

With all the United Staes government help going down there, I think we all already donated a lot.

Well said.

Latest resources

Back