• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot's watch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have one, but several (and I mean several) Captains I've flown with wear them, as do a couple first officers I've known (gifts, I guess). So I don't know what the "guy on the other board" was talking about but he's full of sh**. Just saying.

Isn't John Travolta featured prominently in Breitling advertisements?

Just saying.

I get the most compliments wearing this watch. It's nice, too, because it's a gold watch, which matches the gold brass and stripes of our uniform. Plus, Pulsar is known for quality watches.

Looks like its related to Unimatic!

He11, do you really think my airline can afford a Pulsar?

Well, if you take Glenn Tilton's total compensation for one year (1.12 mil) and divide it by 6000 pilots, everyone could have a $187 watch courtesy of UAL.
... and the best part it only hits the bank once, instead of four long years.

Yeah-I think I will go buy a really nice car and just keep wearing a Timex.

-Does anyone really pay this much for a freaking wristwatch? Holy crap!

Yes, because I bought a Rolex Air King 3 1/2 years ago for $3,200 and now it's worth around $4,000. Your car decrease in value and my watch increase.

What a waste of $$$. Use that money on my wifes boob job, have a lot more fun with a new "rack" then a "timepiece."

Good point, you now have a dual peaked sundial for increased accuracy!

I wore a Rolex for about 10 years. Sold it for what I paid for it. Most comfortable watch I ever wore. Kept okay time. Looked good. When I sold it it needed a tune up. Initially it was accurate to about a minute @ month. When I sold it it was off by about a minute a week. I don't regret buying it and I don't regret selling it.

I currently own three decent watches. A Breitling, a Fortis and a Seiko.

I bought the Seiko from the NEX in the PI when it was being shut down. It's the classic diver's watch every GI and their brother owns. Got it for half price as part of the inventory clearance. That was about 18 years ago. It still keeps good time but I need to get the crown fixed (it's stripped).

I bought the Fortis about 5-6 years ago. It's also an automatic watch. I like it. It keeps really accurate time for an auto (better than the Rolex). It's for sale if anybody is interested (too many watches, not enough wrists).

Now the Breitling. What an awesome watch. I have a Colt Quartz. It keeps phenomenal time. I reset it twice a year when daylight savings time changes. It's accurate within 1-2 seconds a year using the national atomic clock time as the standard. It just doesn't get any better than that no matter how much money you spend. Mine is all stainless steel, it's waterproofed to 500M, looks great, comfortable, COSC certified and bulletproof. Battery life is advertised at 8 years (we'll see). It doesn't have any extra dials or stems and it doesn't have any E6B functions or stopwatch functions. It's just a well made analog watch. MSRP is about $2400, retail about $1800-2000. I bought mine through AAFES for about $1600. Worth every penny. I may not have bought my last watch, but I doubt I'll ever replace this one. I'm a Breitling convert.

FWIW, I fly with quite few guys that wear Breitlings. As a guess I'd say that about a third of the guys I fly with wear premium watches. It's split pretty evenly between Tag, Breitling and Rolex. Tag guys are indifferent about theirs. They like them, but aren't excited about them. Rolex guys tend to be somewhat disappointed. They also like their watches but they find they aren't as exclusive as they thought and they aren't as accurate as you would expect for the money you pay. Everybody I know with a Breitling is very pleased with their purchase. YMMV.

$3000 for a Navitimer? Tell me where and I'll be there tomorrow. More like 6-7 K, for new at least.

Or $20 for a nice Chinese clone I picked up in Shanghai (and no, I don't wear it but it is a nice souvenier lol).

Latest resources

Back