• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Turning Scarce As Demand Takes Wing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Somebody told me that US private pilot students have decreased 50% since 9/11. Is this true?

I will also concede that pilotyip has been stating this for a long time. However, the number of pilots being hired versus the thousands on file are but a minute fraction of the whole group.

Even if that group is made up of the same people. When in the best of cases, airlines are hiring as many as 350 pilots per year, it barely puts a small dent in the supply of perhaps as many as 10,000. You throw in the 65 rule and now the odds just went up astronomically for those of us waiting for a shot.

The folks getting on right now are the ones with the best contacts that will go to bat for them, period.

Hi!

Recently, the FAA announced that student pilot starts are down 50% over the last 5 years. This info is available at the FAA site as well as AOPA.org.

cliff
GRB

Hi!

India:
My great-grandmother, grandmother, 2/3 of my aunts, my mom and my sister all visited India a number of times. 1 of those 2 aunts used to live in Nepal, and visited frequently.

They all loved India.

cliff
GRB

PS-The aunt who lived in Nepal also lived in Thailand for about 10 years (after Nepal). She had a full-time cook, gardener, and maid, and a beautiful house with gardens. She said it was the best living situation she ever had. When she came home, she bought 2 houses in California and retired at age 45. She only works now if she feels like it.

there will always be some kid in an RJ or some other low paying job willing to make it to "the show" who will take whatever they happen to be paying. quote]

Exactly right. And with the age 65 thing pretty much a done deal, even those RJ kids will have 5 more years to wait before their "show".

Shortage of highly qualified pilots? Maybe. Shortage of "pilots" (willing to do just about anything to fly something big and shiny)? No way.

There might be some what of a shortage at the regionals. I interview back at Eagle in 1999 and was offered a job, but never took because I already had one. They just sent me email asking if I would like to interview agian. :eek:

.....I like that. :D Where can I find one?? By the way,thanks for joining us on the line.:beer:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Hey PHXFLYR, I need to open a printing business to make the signs for us to carry. Think of all the possibilities. I'll be out there again next time for sure.

Somebody told me that US private pilot students have decreased 50% since 9/11. Is this true?
Huck: Yes, it is true. However more of the people who start flying go on to get Commercial and Instrument ratings. I think that with the walls that have been built around airports and the much higher expense of aircraft ownership there are fewer casual pilots. Aircraft sales are off, except for the business people who can write off the acquisition and operational expenses.

The FAA's push for user fees (a way to get money for the FAA that does not involve Congressional oversight and budgeting) will also really dampen the interest of those casual students who figure out how to get through the security fense and out to the flightline and who are not put off by the idea of $125 hourly rentals.

The drop off in new pilot starts since 9/11 is the direct and inevitable result of government involvement. The freedom that attracted many of us to aviation is gone unless you get far away from the big cities.

Last edited:
The drop off in new pilot starts since 9/11 is the direct and inevitable result of government involvement. The freedom that attracted many of us to aviation is gone unless you get far away from the big cities.

I think the bigger factor is the money and time off that attracted many of us are gone too. A ten year stint in the Air Force or 100-150K in student loans followed by several years as a regional FO is a high price to pay for a job that just isn't that great anymore. I expect a lot of perspective pilots are simply looking at the economics of the situation and realizing the return on investment just isn't there any more.

prospective...
pipe?
Honestly.

Latest resources

Back