• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Turning Scarce As Demand Takes Wing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe the shortage is being felt everwhere. The problem for the airlines is, there is money elsewhere. Pilots would rather have the money than the BS.

Hi!

What I've read lately:
2006 was BY FAR the best year ever for new jets ordered from EVERY (except maybe Airbus) manufacturer of jet aircraft.

Student pilot starts are down over 50% in the US over the last 5 years.

Aviation growth is EXPLODING in India and China. Currently ERJ-190 type-rated pilots can start as off-the-street captains in India for $100K USD!

Many regional airlines are TRYING to fill their classes with pilots with barely their commercial license. Some are being hired with less than 250 TT. Those classes are going unfilled.

Some airline Mgrs are talking about Ab-Initio hiring to meet their needs. Europe (JAR regs) are studying raising the forced retirement age to 70, partly because of the pilot shortage.

In my industry, some of our competitors have planes parked because of lack of crews.

I'm excited about the great job prospects and salary increases in the future!

cliff
GRB

When SWA calls me for an interview HIRES me, then I'll truly know there's a pilot shortage. When start ups can't find people to fly these shiny new planes for less than 70 grand a year, when merits not daddy allows people to obtain interviews, only then will there really be a pilot shortage. Otherwise, it's just smoke and mirrors.

SWA, CAL, FEDEX, UPS, JBlue, AirTran, DAL and any others I may have left out have PLENTY (thousands) of qualified applicants on file and still can afford to be very selective. I believe this trend may go on for a while, too many rich parents that want to send their kid to flight school just cause it's a neat job.

On topic: Kit Darby once again proves he's a genius. How long has he been predicting a "hiring boom"? [/quote]

Kitty Darby is a tool! (What the hell kind of a name is Kit anyway?) He has preyed on the young and dumb for years. Getting fat off the hopes and dreams of the weak minded. How he can keep a straight face while premoting himself is beyond me. Ego maniac.

Do yourself a favor and get an education. Maybe then you won't believe everything you read.

pilot shortage what a joke. I have been hearing about the upcoming pilot shortage since I started paying attention to it in the early 80's

Quick, send your money to the flight academy now! from zero time to the airlines in just 6 short months. Just look at the shining examples of such "aviators" in the pages of you latest flying rag.

Latest resources

Back