Pilots & Tattoos

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ravengirl said:
I have a tattoo and several piercings, though I don't wear a uniform because I fly only for fun. I want to be an air traffic controller, and I'm actually not sure what the FAA's policies are on the matter. Nothing is in a spot where I can't hide it or temporarily remove it if I need to, though!
The policy is... there is no real policy. As long as nothing is offensive is the official word. I work with a guy that has both arms sleeved, multiple piercings, and dresses like a skateboarder. No one cares... We have a bunch of girls who have ankle tatoos that are visible, nose rings, etc. Don't worry about it.

Hey... we're hearing about 400 will be hired this year, hang in there, things are looking up. Hope you here some good news soon.

break the stereotype

See, I really don't think it matters. I don't have piercings and tattoos, but it wouldn't stop me from hiring someone who did, and I sure wouldn't think of them negatively in the workplace. I think "professional America" has come a long way, but it could still go a bit further. There is one guy at our flight school who on first impression, looks like a total gangster, yet talk one minute with him, and he is a very courteous, smart, and very experienced pilot. I'd fly with him any day. I like that there are people out there breaking stereotypes.

ATCER said:
The policy is... there is no real policy. As long as nothing is offensive is the official word. I work with a guy that has both arms sleeved, multiple piercings, and dresses like a skateboarder. No one cares... We have a bunch of girls who have ankle tatoos that are visible, nose rings, etc. Don't worry about it.

Hey... we're hearing about 400 will be hired this year, hang in there, things are looking up. Hope you here some good news soon.
Nope, nothing offensive, just some metal in my ears and a pretty picture of a flying raven :)

Thanks...I'm hoping to hear something soon too!

Stephanie

Caveman said:
FWIW, I always wear short sleeved pilot shirts and only one Captain ever commented. Now I'm the NOMFIC and nobody ever says a word. I did have one pax comment that it made her feel comfortable knowing that someone who could defend himself was in the cockpit. Apparently the tatoos made her think I was some kind of hard ass. Unfortunately it was some sweet little old lady and not a hot young redhead.
Same here, It did shock our CP when he finally did see it but to his credit he never said a word. Our outward apperances tend to influence what people intially think of us, until a time when they realize that apperances aren't everything.

Happy New Year all
and Cavey take care of D and the boys;)

Jobear

I was told by my AME that a couple of tatoo's is no big deal, he did say that if you came in with a bunch, he would have to dig a little deeper to make sure you were not mentally unstable.

Not sure if that is an FAA thing or just his own feelings. I have one tatoo and he has not said a thing about it since the first visit.

This is a very competive industry. For years we were taught to dress a certain way for interviews. Act the same way. PROFESSIONALLY
While working as flight crew you are expected to wear a uniform and act in a professional mannor. Your individuality is yours to display on your free time not while representing your employer.
It must be a generation thing. I've had this discussion with my daughter many times. If I wanted to work in a music store or strived to be a rock star. I wouldn't try to be conservative and in the same way as a pilot I need to look a certain way to be hired.
I have met many pilots who tell me how hard it is to get a good job in this industry and during the conversation I often wonder. Did you wear that lip ring or eyebrow ring to the interview? They just don't get it.

flyfastinmy10 said:
I have met many pilots who tell me how hard it is to get a good job in this industry and during the conversation I often wonder. Did you wear that lip ring or eyebrow ring to the interview? They just don't get it.
I have some "colleages" that are in the same boat. Honestly, I have a pretty difficult time taking them seriously as aviators. It sounds harsh, but that's the way it is.

-Goose

Don't know, don't really care.

Generally, I can figure out within the first five minutes of meeting someone whether or not the person is a POS or not. Tatoos would have nothing to do with it. Except in case of a girl with a really hot bod. Learning of some bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** chinese menu symbol in the small of a hot chicks back would lead me to all sorts of discrimatory behavior.

The ankle, the arm, ok. But screwing up the view of the small of the back? It's like spray painting Snoop Dog album art on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel :D

Why would anyone pierce their eyebrows, nose, lips, tongue or other body parts? Tattoo's? What's the purpose? I read that it's because they are not happy with their appearance. Maybe they are just trying to get attention by being different. I don't know and really don't care. I consider it a severe lack of judgement and I don't care how intellectual the person is appears to be. This lack of judgement in personal life carries over into the professional life. I would'nt hire anyone that bears this form of self mutilation unless I was hiring from Zimbabwae. There is more than one way to say your not the right person for the job. Dude, dude test one dude.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back