Pilots & Tattoos

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ravengirl said:
Nope, nothing offensive, just some metal in my ears and a pretty picture of a flying raven :)

Thanks...I'm hoping to hear something soon too!
Stephanie
Great poem as well. No metal on the belly? Too bad!:cool:

Art Vandalay said:
Please tell me you DO NOT actually have an earing. You are a dude, right?

Art V.
Last time my wife and I checked anyway...

She loves it...actually she talked me into it...

-mini

Daveman said:
Great poem as well. No metal on the belly? Too bad!:cool:
For some reason, the idea of putting a ring in my belly button gives me the willies, but I had no problem putting a barbell through the top of my right ear or having a tattoo put over my collarbone. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Ravengirl said:
For some reason, the idea of putting a ring in my belly button gives me the willies, but I had no problem putting a barbell through the top of my right ear or having a tattoo put over my collarbone. Go figure! :rolleyes:
"And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted--nevermore!" EAP

Ya, you're probably right, a belly ring is just another nub to lick. Still cute though.:cool:

SlamClicker said:
Why would anyone pierce their eyebrows, nose, lips, tongue or other body parts? Tattoo's? What's the purpose? I read that it's because they are not happy with their appearance. Maybe they are just trying to get attention by being different. I don't know and really don't care. I consider it a severe lack of judgement and I don't care how intellectual the person is appears to be. This lack of judgement in personal life carries over into the professional life. I would'nt hire anyone that bears this form of self mutilation unless I was hiring from Zimbabwae. There is more than one way to say your not the right person for the job. Dude, dude test one dude.
I was going to try and explain it to you but then I read the name on your Avatar(and the fact that you're proud enough of this attribute to use it as your namesake!?) and realized that the cause is hopeless. Most guys that I have flown with that stay in the Hotel Room, watching TV all night, are generally unwilling to experience most things new or different(or potentially fun)in life. Under your rationale "...it's because they're not happy with their appearance...." we shouldn't wear nice clothes or use deodorant either?!!:rolleyes:
Uncle Sparky said:
you'd be a fool to think it wouldn't be a big factor in an interview! Just walk down to a busy corporate FBO or airport terminal and see how many pilots you see with "sleeves" and "monkey hair"...........................
I did state that it would be a factor in most interviews and still stand by that statement. That doesn't mean that I disagree with or dislike tattoos or piercings. I do think that too many is ugly though(ie: the guy that has 10 brow rings and a barbell in his tongue) but everyone seems to have a different level of acceptance. As far as the story about the guy that looks like a Pachuca-gang-member that can "hold a perfect intellectual conversation".....I wear worn out Vans, baggy jeans and Fishbone T-shirts when I walk the dog or go to the store but wear a pressed shirt and a tie, $150 shoes and a $400 jacket when I go to work. In my opinion that professional demeanor and attire should begin at the training stage. Just read ResumeWriter's "10 reasons why employers won't hire you" thread. IMO a huge element of that "....prospect doesn't show a professional attitude..." is appearance! What you do once you go home is your own buisness though! And in case your wondering, I don't have any tattoos or piercings...

C-150ETOPS said:
Don't know, don't really care.

Generally, I can figure out within the first five minutes of meeting someone whether or not the person is a POS or not. Tatoos would have nothing to do with it. Except in case of a girl with a really hot bod. Learning of some bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** chinese menu symbol in the small of a hot chicks back would lead me to all sorts of discrimatory behavior.

The ankle, the arm, ok. But screwing up the view of the small of the back? It's like spray painting Snoop Dog album art on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel :D
my friends and i call that a 'target' ;)

i like em

SlamClicker said:
Why would anyone pierce their eyebrows, nose, lips, tongue or other body parts? Tattoo's? What's the purpose? I read that it's because they are not happy with their appearance. Maybe they are just trying to get attention by being different. I don't know and really don't care. I consider it a severe lack of judgement and I don't care how intellectual the person is appears to be. This lack of judgement in personal life carries over into the professional life. I would'nt hire anyone that bears this form of self mutilation unless I was hiring from Zimbabwae. There is more than one way to say your not the right person for the job. Dude, dude test one dude.
:rolleyes:

i'll agree with sparky's assesment

Since the pax don't get to interview you, your job is to prevent the image of what you hopefully are: a safe, competant, customer oriented pilot. Whether corporate, major, frac, etc... you need to present a professional image. That means clean uniform, ironed, groomed (no 5:00 shadow or pony tails on the boys), and no extra iron or ink.
If I was an HR type, with a bunch of folks applying, I'd pick ones that fit "the image". If you have ink and iron visible, I'd probably look for another candidate.
Yes, you might be the next Mother Teresa, but I can't determine that quickly, and neither can the pax/investors.
If you want to make a statement will the alterations, then it's a statement that would disqualify you in my interview.
Now, I'm not an HR type, and if you fly with me, good to meet you!! I've got a lot of friends with tattoos.
Now, let's go flyin'!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back