Pilots stood down after dispute in cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Whaddya mean? I've been doing it like this for years!"

"Look here I know you are the Captain, but you're a moron and should not hold any FAA license. We can't be cleared down to 4000, the F'ing airport elevation is 5300 feet Numbnuts!"
Might of happened to me.

"Go ahead captain, you can descend and maintain 7000 into Bogota which is at 8300 feet. Just do me a favor, do it on the next flight as I don't think we have the performance to dig 1300 feet below airport elevation."

We all make mistakes but when some guy breaks out the "look here, I'm the captain" card....sheesh. You know they're trying to justify their position with their rank instead of their knowledge and competence.

When I first saw the headline, I thought maybe Travolta was doing an "Ambassador" flight for Qantas and had demanded a massage from the captain. Request denied and chaos ensued. Lawsuits to follow.

Capt: "Tastes great"
SO: "Less filling"

How do you have a heated argument over performance calculations?
If that sh/t shakes them up, what would an emergency do?
Did they miss the part of flight school about calmly handling sh/t

If you would do a little research, you will find that the moral at Qantas lately can cause an argument over a glass of water. Is reprehensible where Joyce is taking a once proud airline

" How do you have a heated argument over performance calculations? " - Wave

Fairly easy...Here's how:

We taxi out in a Convair-640 and we are just a few hundred pounds below MTOW for the longest runway.

We know the runway will close at midnight for maintenance , but loading has gone slowly and we are just about halfway into our taxi when the clock strikes Twelve. They won't give us the runway, no way, no how...Men and equipment already on the runway.

Dang, just missed it. Time to taxi back and offload 13,000 pounds of freight so we can use the short runway.

" 13 hundred lbs over max....we can do that."

" NO Captain. 13 THOUSAND over."

" Yeah, 13 hundred...no problem."

" 13 THOUSAND over max. 13 THOUSAND."

" Well what do you want to do? Geez...if we have to go offload we are going to be really late, and besides the Chief Pilot for ABX is on board the plane behind us and if we have to go back he will probably think we screwed up and I'm trying to get hired there!."

He keeps taxiing towards the short runway saying "we'll be fine"...INSANE.

I reach up and grab the fire handles.

" WHAT are you DOING!!?"

" Well...here's what I'm doing...WHEN we crash and burn off the end of this runway, we are going to be really,really,really late then. Also, it won't look real good to the guys behind us. SO, to further your chances of getting hired there some day...I'm going to pull both these handles as soon as you attempt to take the runway, and then I'm going to throw out the ladder and walk back to the ramp. Or, we could just go back now and offload..."

There was a lot of silence between us for the rest of that evening...And strangely enough, we never wound up flying together ever again.

You can't argue with crazy...but, you can exercise your right to non-violent protest.

:)

Whine

Latest resources

Back