• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Respond to NWA Recruitment Program

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It absolutely cracks me up when I hear Pinnacle guys say, oh I am never going to go to Nwa, Management sucks, they pay is too low for me. All of you need to take a look in the mirror and look at the company you work for RIGHT NOW!.
You work for a company that has terrible management, worst fo pay in the world, and horrible scheduling rules and you took that job, whats the difference?

Big difference between going somewhere for a few years as a stepping stone and going to an airline where you'll spend the rest of your career. Personally, I think NWA might not be a bad career for someone that's still in their 20s and doesn't mind living in one of the NWA domiciles. But I can certainly understand how many PCL pilots would never even consider the idea after seeing how NWA management operates.

For many of us, PCL was an unplanned career stop. Even coming in as a street CA into the RJ just before 9/11, I never planned to be there long enough to grow roots; it was just a place to draw a paycheck and finish up that 1,000 PIC 121 Turbine box (already had a lot of it in Lears and a bit in the 727 before the company closed).

Unfortunately, due to 9/11 and some excessively greedy airline CEO's, many of us were stuck long enough to see exactly how the red tail fleet whipsaws EVERYONE... even mainline employees.

Because of that, I have absolutely ZERO interest working for a red-tail carrier again.

Ever.

AirTran may not be FDX or SWA for income or labor relations, but I'll stay here rather than even try to jump from airline to airline for the "possibility" of flying a "big jet" at Northwest.

Good luck to those who do, just make sure you do your homework on labor practices before you jump. Nowhere is perfect, but some are definitely a lot better than others.

Cheers! :beer:

Big difference between going somewhere for a few years as a stepping stone and going to an airline where you'll spend the rest of your career. Personally, I think NWA might not be a bad career for someone that's still in their 20s and doesn't mind living in one of the NWA domiciles. But I can certainly understand how many PCL pilots would never even consider the idea after seeing how NWA management operates.

Heyas PCL,

You're pretty close to the mark. NWA would be an ok stop-over for someone in their 20's and doesn't mind the domicile while better things are in the works.

But for an older guy, the near zero pension, piss poor QoL/pay, lack of growth and toxic bases is a show stopper.

Here's a quick MSP compatability test for you:

If you watch the movie "Fargo" and say "gosh, that wasn't very nice" or start yelling "It's NOT really like that", then you are good for MSP.

If you watch the movie "Fargo" and say "holy crap, how can anyone live like that?!?" or "Good grief, those people would drive me insane!", then you probably shouldn't go there, because if you do, you will probably be carted away to the funny farm four years later or be married to a Minnesota girl and have given yourself an ethanol induced lobotomy (go ahead and buy the grave plot, 'cause you are NEVER leaving!).

Nu

That there is funny, I don't care who you are!

Decent pay?

PAY_NWAPAY2005.gif

Less than $100/hr for a 12 year 75 FO...

That's over 100K per year. :nuts:

Have you ever lived in DTW, MSP, or MEM? Nice places to live compared to where?

Those are great towns with a lot of culture. Not bad places to raise a family, especially DTW.

How long do you think it will take for you to get from 9 FO to the "widebody"?

3-4 years is what the pilot recruiter told me.

Finally, why would any NWA piliot (20% of applications) refer somebody except for furlough protection? QOL, work rules, company culture

I don't know but Northwest is a culture friendly company. People seem pretty happy over there and are exiceted about the future. I don't think I've ever talked to a pilot, FA, gate agent or Customer Service at Northwest who wasn't laid back and happy with evrything. There a good bunch!

Last edited:

Decent pay?

PAY_NWAPAY2005.gif

That's over 100K per year. :nuts:

Those are great towns with a lot of culture. Not bad places to raise a family, especially DTW.

3-4 years is what the pilot recruiter told me.

I don't know but Northwest is a culture friendly company. People seem pretty happy over there and are exiceted about the future. I don't think I've ever talked to a pilot, FA, gate agent or Customer Service at Northwest who wasn't laid back and happy with evrything. There a good bunch!

I'm assuming you are being serious and this isn't flamebait. Shame on me if it is flamebait.

$100K a year is not a lot of money unless you live in your parents' basement.

I'm sure there are a few nice areas - but culture in DTW or MEM? I don't know what kind of culture you're looking for.

They have been through terrible times - but happy NWA employees? Where on earth are you from? They're not called the Cobra Airline for nothing...

I mean no disrespect to NWA employees and truly wish you the best but instructordude needs to get real...

It's flamebait.

Instructorduche is ALWAYS flamebait...

Don't feed the troll.

Last edited:
It absolutely cracks me up when I hear Pinnacle guys say, oh I am never going to go to Nwa, Management sucks, they pay is too low for me. All of you need to take a look in the mirror and look at the company you work for RIGHT NOW!.
You work for a company that has terrible management, worst fo pay in the world, and horrible scheduling rules and you took that job, whats the difference?

No. PCL 128 is correct. Look, we have flown in the system, we have dealt with their stations (when they had stations), we have been to this party over and over again. Do you think that a lot of guys will deal with different clown at the same party? (these clowns share DNA) And for what? A pay cut that will take six years just to break even. And at the end of those six years you are a reservist on the 9 in beautiful Detroit metro. For somebody that has around 20 years left on his or her aviation career, NWA is just not a viable option

I've been liberated from the red tail baby, never again

Decent pay?

PAY_NWAPAY2005.gif

Less than $100/hr for a 12 year 75 FO...

Have you ever lived in DTW, MSP, or MEM? Nice places to live compared to where?

How long do you think it will take for you to get from 9 FO to the "widebody"?

Finally, why would any NWA piliot (20% of applications) refer somebody except for furlough protection? QOL, work rules, company culture?

Somebody Missed the bus to Sarcasm Town.....

Latest resources

Back