• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Respond to NWA Recruitment Program

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never thought I'd see the day when an airline issues a press release touting the number of pilots who have applied for a job. I notice there is no mention that the number of applicants is significantly lower than when application windows were opened in the past...

so they are going to hire 250-350 within the next 12 months... how mnay dc 9 are going to be parked?? I know they have order 787 but have they any other orders for more a/c besides the 36 crj 9 going to XJ and the 36 e175 going to CP??.

I recently talked to a NW DC9 Captain and he said they will be parking 40 DC9s soon, and probably 8 A319s this year, along with another 10 or so A319s next year. (the A319s were in a leasing company owned by Checchi and Wilson---two of the past leaders). He said they were currently about 500 pilots short, with the DC9s in service. I bet they won't furlough any, and could hire 100-150 with future airplanes coming. But that would be about it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

They failed to mention that probably 90% have 2000 hours TT and no PIC time.

My scoop is 10-20 Dc-9's, most which have been in the phase out plan for years. Will be going slightly below the plan set years ago. The 10 or so A-319's for next year will be kept for the NBA charter contract NWA picked up again. Should be announced any time. Details are done and contracts being prepared. Hiring 250-350 next year or so. Would do more if capable. Next month is first 787 bid and new MSP A-330 base bid is out within 12 days. Retirements are growing and could see 200-300 in next year.

Last edited:
They failed to mention that probably 90% have 2000 hours TT and no PIC time.

It seems that DAL, CAL, and others are hiring plenty with no PIC time. Where does PIC make you a better pilot when you will be an FO for many years to come? For the record, I am PIC, and many of my FO's have gotten interviewed and hired. Great group of pilots. I had flown with many CA's that were in no way better than some experienced FO's. It seems that the Majors have realized the staffing issue at the regionals and are helping their own feed by not creating two training events by taking FO's. Less cancellations = better loads = more revenue = job security. Hmm! What an interesting equation...

NWA cannot even get the compass pointer pointing the right direction on their aircraft, so I doubt if they have planned ahead for anything else. Just putting out fires right now.

Latest resources

Back