Pilots pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GroundedBat

Two day ago I remember to see on MSNBC the top 20 highest paid jobs in the country. To my surprise the pilots/copilots/flight engineers were listed on tenth place after chief executives with 99505 dollars per year. Am I missing something on this picture????

Hmm.........., well I'm not sure if you are missing something on this picture, however.......you are missing a few letters on your post.

averages

Remember this is an average, not an absolute statement. At most companies the pilots make more than all but the top level of mangement. There are many middle level managers making far less than the average pilot. A CEO at a small to mid sized company probably makes less than the average 121 pilot.

My point was that for one pilot making 100G/year we have maybe 10 pilots on the street looking for a job. If that's the case we have approx 10G/year income per pilot. Media creating false images about something is not new but to generalize one professional group like that doesn't sound kosher to me. Public opinion is not favorable to us anyway, so, trying to have them hating us I believe is too much.

GroundedBat said:
My point was that for one pilot making 100G/year we have maybe 10 pilots on the street looking for a job. If that's the case we have approx 10G/year income per pilot.

I understand what you are trying to say, but you can't look at it that way. That 100k year pilot job is just that, and then there are 10 "unemployed individuals", can't spread the pay between them because the work isn't spread between them. Doesn't work that way.

I agree the media isn't worth a $hit when it comes to accuracy, but your way is just as inaccurate as theirs.

Pilot pay is in serious decline. If we don't stand up for ourselves soon we will be all making $5.50 an hr on a 767. If pilots would not apply to airlines with low pay, airlines would have to raise it. This is just like any other industry. The only problem is that people love this job, and will accept the $5.50 an hr just to fly

Here is the problem. Major airlines reward pilots for taking the worst jobs in the industry in order to get ahead. All Ual, AMR, Dal, SWA, etc. care about is pic turbine time, which causes young pilots to jump at the quickest upgrade in the industry regardless of the pay/working conditions. The pilots on the interview boards at the majors reward those who helped perpetuate the downward spiral of the industry by signing crap contracts in order to get more flying/quicker upgrade. Untill people start looking at the quality of airlines that applicants work for then there will never be a shortage of pilots banging on Ornstein's door looking for a minimum wage pilot job. I hear major pilots complaining about people taking these underpaid jobs, but when the hiring is going strong these are the people they hire. Essentially the interview boards at the majors and LCC's have helped create the demand for terrible commuter jobs.

So don't sell out and take those jobs. I'm making a respectable living as a CFI, more then any commuter FO and I'm not leaving until I find a job that pays better then my current one.

I agree with you 100%. All I am saying is that the industry rewards those who sell out in order to get ahead. As long as that is the case the race to the bottom will go on and this profession will continue to erode.

Latest resources

Back