• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
did someone say that the average Part 121 pilot makes more than the average mid-size company CEO?

Where can I get that 121 job?

this is F'n rediculous!!!:eek:

Wiggums said:
So don't sell out and take those jobs. I'm making a respectable living as a CFI, more then any commuter FO and I'm not leaving until I find a job that pays better then my current one.

I'm not taking a shot at you so please understand that my questions are just that, questions.

What exactly is your ultimate goal as a pilot as far as industry sector and pay/benefits?

What is your current plan and timetable to get there from where you are now?

After I get your responses, I will post the comments that I'd like to put out right now, but waiting.

A CEO at a small to mid sized company probably makes less than the average 121 pilot.

One, I know a guy that owns a company that employs less than 15 people and I know that guy takes home more than 90K a year.

Two, I know of field service technicians that make 90K a year and they don't get their hands all that dirty...plinking on a lap top and telling factory in house maintenance staff what nut to turn on, etc.

Spend a hundred grand on an education, years of toiling at dangerous entry level flying jobs paying below 19K a year and then discuss 7-10 year FO wages at a major (90K) as if that is the average in the aviation industry. No wonder there is no shortage of lemmings.

Wiggums said:
I'm making a respectable living as a CFI, more then any commuter FO and I'm not leaving until I find a job that pays better then my current one.

Unless you're making well over $40K as a CFI, I don't think you are making more than an FO at one of the better regionals. If you are- congratulations, because you have one of the highest-paying CFI jobs I've ever heard of.

Since most airlines pay "probationary pay" the first year, if you are looking at first-year pay to determine if it is a "better paying job" your next job won't be an airline job, that's for sure.

I went the corporate route to avoid the low starting pay of a regional, but if I had gone the regional route, I'd be a captain at AirTran instead of an FO right now. . . .

Hey Ty:

Thanks for the thread bump. I noticed "he" never responded to my questions. Talk is always cheap.

Doing something... well you know!

B1900FO,

For a 1500 hour f/o you sure have it all figured out don't you. I was going to reply to that post but I read it a second time and realized you really don't know what the fuc* you are talking about. Like the earlier post stated, talk is cheap.

flyhard said:
B1900FO,

For a 1500 hour f/o you sure have it all figured out don't you. I was going to reply to that post but I read it a second time and realized you really don't know what the fuc* you are talking about. Like the earlier post stated, talk is cheap.

Talk is cheap, isn't it? So, why don't you explain why he's wrong?

Major airlines reward pilots for taking the worst jobs in the industry in order to get ahead. All Ual, AMR, Dal, SWA, etc. care about is pic turbine time, which causes young pilots to jump at the quickest upgrade in the industry regardless of the pay/working conditions.

Okay if you were on an interview board who would you pick? It is all about experience. I think I would take the three years of $hitty pay and working conditions in exchange for thirty-three years of great pay and working conditions. In fact, that is what I did do.

The fact remains most of the regional airlines are going to be a stepping stone for the major airlines. Management knows that and most of the pilots know that as well. Especially in todays market, there are always going to be people that will fly for next to nothing.

Now blaming all this on an interview board...........put down the pipe dude. You do know that you are elgible for a random drug test don't you?

Latest resources

Back